harpcolumn

Harp and Viola

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Harp and Viola

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Am searching for some

frances-duffy
    Participant

My favorite work for harp and viola is the Fantasy Sonata by Arnold Bax.

I would note that the Bax is a Sonata for Harp and Viola. The harp part is mammoth, and even for you, might take six months or more to get a handle on. It is a great piece.

I would suggest:

Henk Badings: Cavatina, very difficult to finger, very atmospheric

Caltabiano: Lyric Duo,Very well written for the harp, rhythmically difficult, a lot of 5 against 4 or other combinations, somewhat tonal but extreme, dramatic, can be highly effective, was premiered by Catherine White.

Glazunov: Elegy, not easy, very lovely, hard to read because the print is too small. You might want to get the Belaieff edition for viola and piano.

Gounod: Hymne a Sainte Cecile, don’t know it, but if it’s Gounod, it must be goudenough.

Houdy: Suite, don’t know it, but he’s a pretty fine composer

Ravel: Pavane, needs no recommendation

That’s all for that catalog, so that leaves room for lots of Baroque and Classical pieces.

There are also the 24 Preludes for Viola d’Amore and Harp by Casadesus, in every key, which are very nice, neo-classical sort of pieces. They may be adaptable to the viola, or perhaps you can work with a violist who can play d’amore. In that case, you should get in touch with Joan Ceo, whose husband is a violist/d’amore-ist, and who have a lot of repertoire together.

HBrock25
    Participant

There is also a piece by Joseph Jongen called Introduction and Dance for viola and harp

Eva Tebbe

janelle-lake
    Participant

Thank you for all of this information!

Honestly, I think the biggest problem for the harp world is the lack of a single, comprehensive catalog of all our repertoire. There is so much more than we can find, except for someone like Clint Nieweg.

Anton Sie
    Participant

It’s an old post, but just for the clarity: Badings’ Cavatina has been edited for alto flute and harp or violin and harp: “viool” means “violin”. However, I think it certainly would suit on the viola. It’s also played on other melody instruments and piano.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies