harpcolumn

Handel’s Harp concerto originally for harp AND lute?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Handel’s Harp concerto originally for harp AND lute?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

It was published for organ, but the score should say “organ or harp,” I believe.

HBrock25
    Participant

Here it’s possible to here my own reconstruction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NdYeeusqHY

best wishes,

Diego

kreig-kitts

I bet that lutes are still mostly used with period construction and volume since it’s largely an early music instrument, while both harps and bowed strings have gotten brighter/louder/MOREMOREMORE!!! over time, which could be part of why the lute would get drowned out, especially if the orchestra is

john-strand
    Participant
    Hello – thanks for posting this video – I loved it! Certainly a different texture than the pedal harp version I am used to, but I loved the feeling of being transported back in time by the sound of the two instruments – I thought the lute/harp balance was great in this video – I would love to be at a live performance where I imagine the sound and blend would be quite different than on a video recording with no additional mikes, or a studio recording with individual balance for the solo instruments – I can imagine the amount of work that went into this project – will it be part of a CD release at some point? Again, thanks for posting –
    John
    katerina
    Participant

Handel Harp concerto was originally, as it mentioned “A Concerto here, for the Harp, Lute, Lyrachord and other instruments”.

Only a straight 2-lines part survived, and we have no idea what each instrument was, actually, doing. So, presumably, the harp was playing solo and the other guys – continuo or sort of.

Erard harp is not at all authentic for that, the concert was written for triple-harp (Welsh triple, but it’s completely ok to play it on Italian one, just less convenient).

Andrew Lawrence-King recorded it on triple and with all mentioned instruments in 1997 – CD “Italian Concerto”.

katerina
    Participant

I play triple.

The easiest it is to be played on lever harp :), really. Just several changes of levers, nothing difficult. But on triple, if the harp is not pre-tuned, it is a pain of hanging in the middle (semitones) row all the way, half of the notes.

Using old pedal harps to be more “authentic” is just plain silly. I did so once to play with a baroque orchestra. One can alter one’s tone on a regular pedal harp if needed. But authenticity is sooooo overrated. I can’t bear to hear “period” orchestras. Or barking reconstructionist harps that sound like a dog. They may have low tension, but they give me high anxiety.

Just because only a melody and bass line were given, doesn’t mean we don’t know what to play. It doesn’t take a tremendous amount of study to find out.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies