harpcolumn

Hammered dulcimers

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Hammered dulcimers

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

Just saw Songbird on dickinsondulcimer.com. I rented a Russell Cook model from Denver Folklore and have been trying it out. I noticed that it’s in a way like a lever harp: good for sharp keys, but maybe not fully chromatic.

randal
    Participant

There are chromatic HDs too.

kryptoleadonium
    Participant

So I’ve read. I haven’t even decided whether I want to pursue the HD and already the mission creep has started…Someone listed his used Masterworks Ultralight (it looks like) on Craig’s List: $1500. That’s the price of a new one, and while I’m not in a hurry to spend that much, it’s not out of the question. The real question is: how well do HDs age? I believe his is 20 years old.

randal
    Participant

Answer: very well. There’s little that can fail on a HD except some top sagging – by virtue of being under tension of the strings/bridges. But even this affects neither tone nor playability. It’s the kind of thing that you strap to a horse/keep in a rustic cabin at a lumber camp (why one of its nicknames is “lumberjack piano”).

Given that the builder did an adequate job, it’ll last as long as the glue holds..

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.