Hammered dulcimers

• Participant
    kryptoleadonium on #252398

Just saw Songbird on dickinsondulcimer.com. I rented a Russell Cook model from Denver Folklore and have been trying it out. I noticed that it’s in a way like a lever harp: good for sharp keys, but maybe not fully chromatic.

Participant
    randal on #252414

There are chromatic HDs too.

Participant
    kryptoleadonium on #252415

So I’ve read. I haven’t even decided whether I want to pursue the HD and already the mission creep has started…Someone listed his used Masterworks Ultralight (it looks like) on Craig’s List: $1500. That’s the price of a new one, and while I’m not in a hurry to spend that much, it’s not out of the question. The real question is: how well do HDs age? I believe his is 20 years old.

Participant
    randal on #252416

Answer: very well. There’s little that can fail on a HD except some top sagging – by virtue of being under tension of the strings/bridges. But even this affects neither tone nor playability. It’s the kind of thing that you strap to a horse/keep in a rustic cabin at a lumber camp (why one of its nicknames is “lumberjack piano”).

Given that the builder did an adequate job, it’ll last as long as the glue holds..

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.