harpcolumn

Guitar and Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Guitar and Harp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Good Afternoon,

I’m looking for someone with through understanding of guitar and harp theory to kind of maybe try to explain to me something.

I’m trying to take a song that I know on guitar, and come up with some arrangement on harp but I’m having a hard time. The song on guitar is standard tuning ebgdae, however the song is played w/ a capo on the 2nd fret. I know this changes the key and everything and I’m trying to figure out how to transfer that over to harp and I’m having the worst time. Also note, I’m playing on a lever harp.

I looked up some info (mind you, I’m not really that great w/ theory when it comes to this) but I still don’t really understand how to figure out what key the song is in or how to apply that to harp :/

Is this really complicated or could someone try to explain it to me? Or maybe point me in the direction of some references I could look up online or something?

Thanks!

Tracey

Also, the song I’m trying to play has a pretty easy chord progression: G, Em, D, C. I’ve figured this out on harp in the key of C (which is how I was playing it) but as far as trying to figure out the melody, I have no idea how to figure it out from the original key its played in, and play it in the key of C. And thats why I posted this. I figured it might be easier to cover it if I play it in the same key. Unless anyone has a suggestion of how I can figure the melody in a different key, but I’m trying to figure it out by ear so..

tony-morosco
    Participant

Tracey, When you put a capo on a guitar it raises everything by 1/2 step per fret.

So if you were playing something in the key of C and then put a Capo on the 2nd fret you would then be playing in the key of D. D is a full step above C (1/2 step per fret).

You need to know what the key is that you are starting with. If that isn’t notated then look at the chords. Typically the first and last chord of the piece (although often excluding pick up measures) correspond to the key. Also you can look at the progression and often be able to tell what the key is by the common chords used in the key. So if you are using G, Em, D and C chords on the open strings that would almost certainly be the key of G you are starting with.

If you put a capo on the 2nd fret and play those same chord shapes you are playing in the key of A. So even though you are forming your chords as if they were G, Em, D and C, the chords that are coming out of your guitar are A, F#m, E and D. Each one a full step higher than the chords played on the open strings.

I hope that made sense.

Yes! That does make sense, actually. I think I knew some of that but you definitely filled in what I was missing so I could understand.

However, now I’m stuck with having to figure out how I’m to play this on lever harp. Given that the song is originally played in the key of A…I’m assuming I’m best trying to arrange something in C? I’ve always been advised not to tune a lever harp in anything but E flat or C, I’m guessing because of the string tension etc… (I always have it tuned in E flat). Am I correct?

If not, then how do I apply this to harp and change the key of my harp to the key of A? I feel like I could be missing something on this one…I’ve only ever played in E flat and C. I do have full levers though, I’m just not sure of anything beyond those. Wouldn’t I have to tune my harp differently?

Alison
    Participant

you are funny, making more problems than you are solving…!! If the song is in A, I was going to suggest playing it in Ab but you can’t so I suggest you settle for the key of Bb on the lever harp, it will therefore sound a semitone higher. Move the capo up one more fret to get used to the shift, take off B and E levers on the harp and then you should find unison and your voice can manage a semitone higher I hope….However if the song was moved into key of B with the capo, shift the capo down to the first fret, why not compare named notes between instruments Have fun ! Remember that the guitar sounds an octave lower, so you will find which register (octave) you prefer on the harp.. For tuning theory read this thread http://www.harpcolumn.com/forums/coffee-break/posts/61713

Hah okay I guess that makes sense! I wish I had a better understanding of theory so that I wouldn’t feel like I’m asking dumb questions all the time but I can’t afford lessons again for another couple of months :/

I’m sure I could probably find something online though to better understand the different keys or how to switch my levers to change keys. Like I said, I’ve only ever played in E flat and C lol and I’d like to play in different keys, I just don’t really understand the circle of fifths and really any of that, unfortunately.

Thanks for the help!

tony-morosco
    Participant

Get the following book:
    Music Theory and Arranging Techniques for Folk Harps by Sylvia Woods This one assumes you can read music.

If you do read music, or want to learn learn to read music along with learning music theory then also get:

The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Music Theory by Michael Miller. This is probably one of the best basic introductions to music theory I have seen, and I guarantee that at the very least you will walk away understanding the circle of fifths.

If you don’t read regular music notation and don’t really want to learn then get:

Edly’s Music Theory for Practical People by Ed Roseman.

This is the best introduction to music theory that doesn’t require you to actually read music. Written for both the self taught musician who had no interest in reading music, or people who don’t play music but want to understand what is going on with what they hear. It is very detailed, well presented, and easy to understand. Even if you do read music it is a good book to get these ideas from another persepective. I refer to it all the time even though I read music fairly decently.

Thank you so much! I’ve been thinking about getting the Complete Idiots guide anyway so I’m glad that I’ve had yet another person telling me what a great book it is to have. And I will look into the others as well when I have extra money to spare 🙂

I really appreciate you guys responding and helping me out! Thanks so much!!

Alison
    Participant

The key word is TRANSPOSE. If you shift any song from one pitch to another, you are transposing it and usually you would rewrite the key signature and the notes on the stave and reset the chords you are using on the guitar. For elementary tuning and musical keys theory on the lever harp read this thread: http://www.harpcolumn.com/forums/coffee-break/posts/61713

nicoletta-terzi
    Participant

Hi! Guitar is read in violin key so there’s no need to transpose: if you have the sheet music (not the tab) of this song you should isolate the melody and the chords (that you already have). Guitar has a different tuning progression but a C chord (for example) on guitar has the same structure than the one on harp, You don’t need to tune again the harp and you shouldn’t care about guitar position because guitar has a completly different structure from harp as some notes are not only redoubled but you can find the same note on different positions. If you have the tab of the song you should trascribe it into conventional music score.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies