harpcolumn

Grandjany’s Aria in Classic Style

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Grandjany’s Aria in Classic Style

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

Does anyone know of a recording by Grandjany himself playing this piece?

unknown-user
    Participant
    Yes, they are the same – I don’t know of any recordings of Grandjany himself playing, but there are several versions with strings posted on youtube –

barbara-brundage
    Participant

The closest thing to a recording of Mr. Grandjany would probably be the recording done by Taka Kling and the Louisville symphony, which I believe he oversaw.

You can get it on itunes now, but it’s badly digitized, in my opinion–doesn’t sound much like the original LP, which was part of a series of works by living composers. If you can find the LP (and have a way to play it), it’s a lovely recording.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

No, that’s a much later recording. I have that one, too, somewhere, and I think it’s the harpist from the Stockholm symphony (can’t remember her name offhand).

When there’s more light tomorrow I’ll dig them both out so I can give you the details. If you want the one in your link, I’d hold off–that recording comes up fairly often in the US if you don’t mind waiting. I often see it in second-hand LP stores.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Hmm, now that I think about it, that may actually be an early recording by Willy Postma, but I’ll have to dig it out to be sure of that.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

Thank you, Thank you.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Nope, I was wrong. It’s Christine Muhlbach on harp on the Orchestral Favorites recording.

My copy of the recording of Taka Kling and Louisville just says “The Louisville Orchestra, First Edition Recordings, Robert Whitney/Jorge Mester conducting”.

The outer sleeve appears to be a generic cover used for all the recordings in the series. There’s not even a mention of the actual album contents on it. The insert has the numbers LOU-701 and LS-701. The other pieces on it are “Ilinx” for Clarinet and orchestra by Antonio Taurello, and Concertino for Clarinet and Strings by Matyas Seiber, both with James Livingston as soloist.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oops, sorry. Tauriello, not Taurello.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.