harpcolumn

Grading College Harp Students

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Grading College Harp Students

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    paula-haffner
    Participant

I have recently started teaching harp at the university level.

kreig-kitts

Are these students studying harp towards a career playing it, or is it as an elective for non-majors?

paula-haffner
    Participant

They are all music majors. One is performance, and the rest are music education who want to teach harp in the future.

elinor-niemisto
    Participant

I teach in a small liberal arts college with a strong music program.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Keep in mind the realities of modern grade inflation and the impact that less-than-A grades could have on a student’s future, non-harp pursuits, and even on near-term harp pursuits.

There are often juries. For them, I think the student needs to have something freshly learned, a short piece that they can perform, and demonstrate clear progress on big pieces. I think progress should be graded, not only results, reaching the goal. But talent should also be part of the picture. An untalented student who works hard should probably not be graded well above a gifted student who does well, but perhaps may seem to work less hard. Because an artistic student will likely spend more time thinking and exploring than doing rote practicing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies