harpcolumn

getting started with gigs

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists getting started with gigs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jeanne-koehler
    Spectator

Hi Everyone, I have finally acquired a nice little reportoire under my belt and am eager to start gigging.

Karen Johns
    Participant

First of all, get some nice professional business cards made up. Then, check out events in your local community. The historical society and chamber of commerce

Rachel
    Participant

I find that businesses especially are using the internet to find performers, and so are brides and other event planners.

jeanne-koehler
    Spectator

Thanks for the advice. Another question:

Karen Johns
    Participant

Depends on your experience level, in my opinion. Also on what kind of venue you are playing. For a wedding I charge upwards of $200 for my services, depending on whether I’m using songs already in my repertoire or have to learn something special for the dedication. I consider myself a intermediate player according to the level I can play efficiently in sheet music (as labeled). For non-profit organizations that are free to the public, I usually donate my services, but I limit the amount of these types of engagements, and make sure the organization knows how much of a value they are getting in my donation. For non-profits that have events that charge admission, I ask for a percentage (usually 20%) of the house take. It really depends on what you are comfortable asking. One thing I can tell you is that donating my services helped open up avenues-paying it forward works in my experience. But, alternatively, those strings on your harp don’t pay for themselves, so you need to balance freebies with paid gigs. I usually commit to only a couple freebies a year, just for PR reasons.

Blessings,

Karen

unknown-user
    Participant

Oh, perfect! if you’ve played for free at weddings before, you can go back and ask the brides if any of them priced anyone out before asking you!

Also, are you in a small rural town or a large city? I’ll bet that some of the professional folks on the boards can help you with more info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.