harpcolumn

Gestures, Salzedo style

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Gestures, Salzedo style

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

The Orphic memouries sounds like a fascinating piece. And it sounded like a wonderful concert. And there is something truly wonderful about seeing an ensemble so connected, it is so very moving and I often do feel it is a mysterious bond! Of both the ensemble members but the audience too!

I feel ignorant as I have never heard of Heidi

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Julieanne,

“My understanding of the raising gesture is that it is dependent on context. “

My most surreal moment was watching Salzedo harpists at a harp competition raise while tuning.

tony-morosco
    Participant

+++While I’m not about to argue the validity of raising and Salzedo gestures and their effect on tone production, but PITCH?+++

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

I think there are companies that rent harps for movie/theatre productions.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Tony, I am afraid you have got it all wrong!

tony-morosco
    Participant

+++The best flutes are beat up student models that look like they could give you tetnus!

unknown-user
    Participant

As to the tuning and raising thing….yep I do that. But not 2 or 3 feet in the air above the neck of the harp – they must have “go go gadget arms” coz mine aren’t that long…..

It is mostly a habit, but you do try and strike the string quite quickly and firmly when tuning – get a clean and pure sound. If you strike each string differently, with different volume and at a different rate, yes, that will affect how the tuner picks up

Lucile Lawrence firmly stated that the hands should never go past the harp’s neck. Slightly in the first octave is unavoidable, but it should never be like an athlete or v for victory. That is not esthetic, that is tasteless.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Rosemary,

Your raising makes sense…but these students were making such a show out of it, and were raising like pom-pom girls.

David, what a bizarre sight that must have been.

carl-swanson
    Participant

You should take a look at that video of Betsy Morse playing the preludes from the Method for the Harp. The one where Lucile Lawrence explains each one first. I haven’t seen it in years, but my memory of it is that she throws both hands straight up over her head every time she raises. Sometimes she flings them straight out towards the column, but in both directions her arms end up absolutely straight(up or out).

I’m certain you are remembering that incorrectly, you should have re-viewed it first before casting any aspersions on it.

unknown-user
    Participant

I would love to see that video, but the formatting of your videos in the US do not work in our video machines (boo hoo!). Sounds fascinating!

But well, how did it sound? I remember reading that Ms Lawrence ( I think it was in the Dewey Owens book about Salzedo) would get quite cross if

David Ice
    Participant

Well, it certainly got them noticed…at least by me.

Oh that we should all grow old gracefully and not perform in public with any physical limitations. I myself am having a hard time adjusting to changes in my eyesight and I am only in my 40’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.