harpcolumn

Gestation of a harp – update

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Gestation of a harp – update

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Rod,

I hadn’t heard of the use of hydrotherapy for tennis elbow before you mentioned it, but I’ve since read up on it some.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi everybody.

Yes, we should never compromise safety, which may be taken to include how we move and play our harps to avoid strain and muscular tension etc. I guess this is where Pilates, Feldenkrais (think that’s the right spelling) or Tai Chi would help.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Rod,

I believe the wood supports will keep the neck from falling over while just a few strings are attached.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi to all again,

To my shear amazement, I have actually put the harp together.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi again-

A correction – to enhance the sound, I may remove some non-structural stock from the sides of the soundbox.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

And one more correction – the 4 lowest strings are .032s, not .024s.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

While physics certainly isn’t my strong suit, I can tell you that the neck on my 26 string Bard (brass strung) is attached to the shoulder only by two wooden dowels (unglued), and is held in place by string tension.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Audrey,

When I read through the harp-building CD (a collection of articles from the folk harp journal) that I ordered from Musicmaker Kits, I read about harps like the one from Dreamsinger, constructed just with dowels, mortise and tenon, etc.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

The place where the neck (and the dowels) join the body is not recessed.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Everybody, Well, so you’re almost done, Mike!

Re tension of your wire strings. I could estimate this for you with my sonometer, if you wish, but I need to know the exact sort of string, it’s length, as well as its gauge. Between three and five strings from different places should do.

Re finishing. I’ve read that not too much varnish or whatever should be applied to the soundboard, to avoid filling up the wood pores and reducing the sound. I just put two coats of Scandinavian oil on my harps’ soundboards.

Enjoy your new harp, Mike!

Rod

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Rod,

Thanks for the offer, but I’ve already got the harp strung up!

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hello to all,
    I’ve gotten the harp to a point which I am, somewhat arbitrarily, going to call finished.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies