harpcolumn

Gauging Strings/Calipers

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Gauging Strings/Calipers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I am going to change the levers out on my old Troubadour C. I have chosen Delacour levers…they are AWESOME! Andre Glemin was a pleasure to work with on another harp and his levers are the best I’ve seen. They were clearly custom machined to my specifications. Andre needs the string diameter and vibrating length. The prior harp was simple because it was strung with strings that had gauge specified (ex. 0.025″). However, the Troubadour C has “Bow Brand Lever Nylon” strings aka the gauge is a “secret.” I have calipers, but they are just not accurate enough…I can’t tell the difference between 0.025 and 0.028! I’ve also tried comparing to strings which are already labeled by gauge, and I just end up getting greatly confused!

Any advice on finding out string gauge? Does anyone have a chart for “Bow Brand lever nylon?” Note this is not the pedal gauge which is most often put on L&H Troubadours. I purposely chose to use a lighter gauge on this harp.

(I did inquire for a chart from a nylon string distributor and they did provide one, but I suspect it is incorrect. That is, it appears to be for a pedal gauge troubadour and not the lighter nylon lever gauge.)

Tacye
    Participant

Ask your string supplier – this is how I have acquired gauge listings (but for gut).

Or Bow Brand International Limited, UK & Export: +44 (0) 1553 772943
    Email:sales@bowbrand.co.uk

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

Thanks, Tacye. Bow Brand wrote me back with the information!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics