harpcolumn

Funeral music

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Funeral music

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    brenda-lee
    Participant

I have been asked to play for a funeral, but the the family hasn’t chosen the music yet.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Brenda,

I always ask the family if they have any suggestions of songs that will either minister to them or that were the favorites of the deceased person.

joan-steinberg
    Participant

I play Ave Maria and Panis Angelicus if appropriate for the denomination.

vince-pierce
    Participant

A really beautiful (but very sad) piece is Dido’s Lament from Dido and Aeneas by Purcell. There is a very lovely arrangement that I found online. I don’t remember how I got it, but I could send you a copy if you would like. Here is a link to a video with text: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAnQQ4_Jpd8. It’s really beautiful, but I would play it for your client beforehand, because they may not want such somber music for their loved one’s funeral. I hope this helps. Good luck, as I’m sure this is an entirely different challenge than a wedding.
    Vince

mr-s

Hi Brenda i suggest In Paradisum from G.Faure Requiem there is arrangement for the harp you can find it on harp.com and also you can do your arrangement of Pie Jesu from the same Requiem if you have the choir and piano score, and also you can play Sarabanda of Handel.

mr-s

Hi Brenda i do love Barcarolle by Hasselmans so much , and i can add it to a funeral music……

yuko-olson
    Participant

Hi, Brenda. I just played for my friend’s family’s funeral earlier this week. I played some pieces from Karl Wienand’s music (Quietude and The Healing Harp), along with other hymns. They are peaceful and simple. I played it slowly with much emotion. They were very much loved and appreciated by those who attended the funeral.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies