harpcolumn

Free arrangement of the Wild Mountain Thyme

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Free arrangement of the Wild Mountain Thyme

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    clh-h
    Participant

The song itself is public domain so it’s easy enough to find sheet music for the melody, but I can’t seem to find any site that offers a free arrangement of it, I’ve found free arrangements for other traditional songs but can’t seem to for this one. Does anyone know if there’s anywhere I might find one? It doesn’t have to be specifically for the harp.

Sylvia Clark

Check your email.

clh-h
    Participant

Thanks! 🙂

clh-h
    Participant

Looking at it more closely, it seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Most of it even fits my little harp’s 19 string range! The few notes that are too low all seem to be simultaneous other higher notes so I should be able to omit them without messing up the sound too much. 🙂

Kathleen Dougherty
    Participant

If you don’t mind, I’d love a copy of the arrangement, too.

Cheers,
    K

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Pretty sure that this tune is

kreig-kitts

The song is a variation of Braes of Balquhidder by Robert Tannahill in the late 18th century, so it’s not certain whether Francis McPeake wrote an original song or transcribed a version as it had been handed down. The lyrics are almost identical, the melody less so but similar. Nevertheless, he did get a copyright for it, so there we are. I think Braes of Balquhidder sounds prettier anyway.

tamara-murphy
    Participant

May I ask for a copy as well, please? I ‘d love to give it a go . ;). Thanks so much!

robin-thomas
    Participant

May I also get a copy of the harp arrangement.

Thanks in advance

Robin

Elizabeth L
    Participant

There’s a really good book by Sylvia Woods with that and other folk songs like that one.

Elizabeth L
    Participant

The book is

rod-c
    Participant

Yes….Sylvia Woods has a nice arrangement. Also, Janet Jackson (not the sister to Michael Jackson) has a nice arrangment. I found this youtube clip of the Jackson

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.