Free arrangement of the Wild Mountain Thyme

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    clh-h on #156469

The song itself is public domain so it’s easy enough to find sheet music for the melody, but I can’t seem to find any site that offers a free arrangement of it, I’ve found free arrangements for other traditional songs but can’t seem to for this one. Does anyone know if there’s anywhere I might find one? It doesn’t have to be specifically for the harp.

Sylvia Clark on #156470

Check your email.

Participant
    clh-h on #156471

Thanks! 🙂

Participant
    clh-h on #156472

Looking at it more closely, it seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Most of it even fits my little harp’s 19 string range! The few notes that are too low all seem to be simultaneous other higher notes so I should be able to omit them without messing up the sound too much. 🙂

Participant
    Kathleen Dougherty on #156473

If you don’t mind, I’d love a copy of the arrangement, too.

Cheers,
    K

Participant
    adam-b-harris on #156474

Pretty sure that this tune is

kreig-kitts on #156475

The song is a variation of Braes of Balquhidder by Robert Tannahill in the late 18th century, so it’s not certain whether Francis McPeake wrote an original song or transcribed a version as it had been handed down. The lyrics are almost identical, the melody less so but similar. Nevertheless, he did get a copyright for it, so there we are. I think Braes of Balquhidder sounds prettier anyway.

Participant
    tamara-murphy on #156476

May I ask for a copy as well, please? I ‘d love to give it a go . ;). Thanks so much!

Participant
    robin-thomas on #156477

May I also get a copy of the harp arrangement.

Thanks in advance

Robin

Participant
    Elizabeth L on #156478

There’s a really good book by Sylvia Woods with that and other folk songs like that one.

Participant
    Elizabeth L on #156479

The book is

Participant
    rod-c on #156480

Yes….Sylvia Woods has a nice arrangement. Also, Janet Jackson (not the sister to Michael Jackson) has a nice arrangment. I found this youtube clip of the Jackson

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.