harpcolumn

Form and Analysis question

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Form and Analysis question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

I have looked everywhere for this answer, no luck.

If a phrase is identified as a, then repeated exactly but an octave higher or lower, is the next phrase a or a’ ?

Sherry, my own opinion, not learned anywhere or read in print, but useful to me in my own harp study and teaching: if that second phrase is not exactly like section A, then it must be A’. If the similar phrase is used later in the same piece but slightly altered from A and A’, I call it A”. Perhaps this would work for you also.

I think it depends who you are writing for. If it is a school, they should have a set system for designation. Each school often has its own. If you are doing it for yourself, use your own system, just be consistent. I tend to use letters for phrases, A, B. I would logically think of A1 as being the first phrase, not the second.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I’m taking a college course. The first time I took the course (45 years ago) the teacher was a very nice man with a wonderful bass voice who was a terrible teacher, and I learned nothing except how many symphonies Mozart wrote.

This is the system in which the phrase is identified as ( a ), two phrases are a period, identified as ( A ), antecedent and consequent phrases and so on.

My specific question is whether a phrase that is repeated exactly can be referred to as the small letter designation alone, or whether it should be called smaller letter prime ( a’ ).

I doubt that the teacher (excellent) who is teaching this is as OCD about it as I am, but I have a 4.0 average and I do not wish to louse it up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies