harpcolumn

Fnatasie SaintSaens op 124 Harp&Flute

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Fnatasie SaintSaens op 124 Harp&Flute

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mr-s

Hello friends, i am now starting this beautiful piece by saintsans and have some technical questions and will be happy to hear and share your ideas about this piece

there is Largamente in my score and it starts by no5 but my question about no 6

the harp play f up f down and A,D so F,FA,D, and A,A,D,F etc, how to practice this part

diane-michaels
    Spectator

I have refingered much of this passage: in the first line, for instance, the left hand picks up the 2nd note of the figure starting in the 2nd eighth.

mr-s

Hi Diane, i can think now after your suggestion of these fingerings, bar no 6 from the octave in L.H we delete the lower A

It is possible to play it as written, with much preparation.

mr-s

as you noticed Saintsans write big chords andfor big hands too, dont know really the reason,may be its a lack of understanding the instrument or maybe did that for complicating the playing process………..

Han Hsieh
    Participant

Basel,

Don’t blame Saint-Saëns and your hands, there is not thing wrong with them. During Saint-Saëns’ time, most

And they were smaller overall.

mr-s

i thought only russian harps has a narrow space among the strings.

Alison
    Participant

I am resting completely, the harps all covered up. Having spent a few weeks obsessively working on this cadenza, I overdid it, made my right wrist and elbow tendons sore and developed such a jerky action in my 4th and 3rd fingers that I couldn’t play normally or legato in other pieces for a while (very worrying).

It is very tricky to know when one is overpracticing something. 100 times in one day is way too much, I think. 50 times is probably a good maximum. After a while, I doubt one makes progress.

I don’t think this pieces works that well on the flute, because it goes below the range. I have heard various ways of dealing with it, the best being having a b-flat foot on the flute, but it is marvelous with a good violinist.

mr-s

Hello Alison, I know this video on the youtube the harpist playing it very good I like his playing, yes maybe it’s more beautiful with violin , but the violinist should be perfect.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.