harpcolumn

Flat versus ‘Rounded” fingers: the real dirt!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Flat versus ‘Rounded” fingers: the real dirt!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Interesting to know, thanks for sharing.

Did you have a chance to ask Ms Jamet for the list of piano pieces which Debussy wrote and approved as harp music? I am the most curious to know. Thanks!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Someplace on this site there was a discussion about playing with the knuckle

nearest the fingernail “flat” rather than rounded.

unknown-user
    Participant

My understanding is that Mr. Grandjany had very long fingers and his 4th finger “collapsed” when outstretched. He didn’t necessarily teach it, but his students tended to copy it. I believe Salzedo would also flatten his inner fingers when necessary to avoid buzzing, but he also wasn’t afraid to buzz a little. Guitarists certainly do it a lot, along with some other instruments. So it seems to be typical of all the French harpists, perhaps all over.

Sometimes I flatten my fingers to avoid buzzing, or to get a different tone quality when I

play a chord. It is, however, mainly because my fourth finger is rather short, and when my

fourth finger is placed in a widely-spaced chord, my third finger’s knuckle is pulled right

up against the strings. If they are supposed to be vibrating, this can create a problem of

unwanted buzzing or dampening.

erin-wood
    Participant

I have had teachers insist that the fingers stay rounded all the time.

alexander-rider
    Participant

Well personally I don’t understand this concept or what it looks like without someone showing me or seeing a picture! But I presume I play with round fingers! Can someone elaborate?

When we refer to “round” fingers, we mean when both the knuckles are curved in a convex

way. “Flattened” means when, as Carl said, the knuckle nearest the fingernail is flat or

slightly concave instead of curved.

alexander-rider
    Participant

Oh! Thanks Elizabeth!I think Skaila Kanga plays with flat fingers sometimes. Though that was just one photograph….I had pictured something like having the fingers horizontal to the strings!! How stupid, because that’s not really possible, is it? Alex

unknown-user
    Participant

I would posit that a finger where the knuckle is bent inward will present a bit of inertia that must be overcome to close the finger into the hand, thus slowing down the movement at least slightly. I knew a good professional harpist who bent in each finger’s knuckle and had noticably limited speed.

Well, actually, Saul, I know it seems counter-intuitive, but it really doesn’t limit your speed.

I’ve tried it both ways. And, of course, there are many lightning-quick harpists from both

schools of thought. I really think it comes down to hand and finger sizes and shapes. What

works well for one person doesn’t always work well for another.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies