Firebird, 1911 edition

• Spectator
    diane-michaels on #147784

Any tips on whether I should bother trying to combine all 3 parts?

Participant
    carl-swanson on #147785

Diane- Are you performing the 1911 edition? Most performances of the Stravinsky ballets are of the 1940 something editions. The only reason he made the later editions was so he could get copyright and therefore income, which he couldn’t get from the original editions. Maybe after all this time conductors are thinking of going back to the original versions.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #147786

Do you have the score? You might be able to play some of the ntoes, but it will sound different. Are they too cheap to hire two more harpists?

Spectator
    diane-michaels on #147787

You nailed it, Saul. They actually only thought to hire this lone harpist on Tuesday for a Saturday rehearsal concert that also includes Don Juan. Actually, the contractor only mentioned those two pieces, but their publicity release also lists Barber’s Knoxville… The contractor seemed surprised when I mentioned he might want to look into a harp part for that and I haven’t heard from him since. The musician in me wants to be studious about the Stravinsky (I do have the score), but the realist is resisting – too many notes in not enough time with just harp 1. It’s not my problem to solve, unless, of course, they pay me the salary of 3 harpists…

Participant
    paul-knoke on #147788

Personally, I would play harp 1 and harp 1 only. If the conductor or anyone else asks you to combine parts, ask if the oboist is also going to play both first and second parts as well!

Sorry, but the harp being the one instrument that gets asked to combine parts is a pet peeve.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #147789

Um, what about the second harp for Don Juan? No wonder we have so much unemployment! Typical.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #147790

It may not always be practical, but Miss Lawrence was of the firm opinion that one should only play the one part given, and not do any combining. Miss Chalifoux, on the other hand, I think was more practical about it, or else she just enjoyed

Spectator
    diane-michaels on #147791

Funny story about this concert. The orchestra manager sent me a pdf of the Barber 2 days before the concert, and a pdf of the 1919 edition, but no apology for sending the 1911 2 days earlier. OK, fine, I’ve played 1919 and the Barber, just needed to focus on the Strauss. Rehearsed the Strauss right before the concert, conductor says, let’s do the Mahler and then take a break. I glance at the music on a neighbor’s stand: it’s the Adagietto. Final score for the orchestra manager? He accurately hired me for 1 out of the 4 pieces on the program.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #147792

Corrected. However, whenever possible, Miss Lawrence insisted on doubling the harp part in Don Juan.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.