harpcolumn

Festival or Not Festival, That is the Question

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Festival or Not Festival, That is the Question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

It is that time when I am ready to pull my hair out, wondering why on earth I am doing this again, but I know it is just a stage of preparation for the truly exasperating feat of pulling together a festival. I am curious if any among you are planning to attend. Also, I have finally been able to whip the website into shape and provide a final schedule. What is the hardest part? Dealing with musicians. (Not referring to harpists.) The website is http://www.harpmusicfest.com. We have absolutely no idea how many people will come. I’m almost prepared for anything, but one of the toughest questions is, how many tickets and programs to print? And we have resolved the age-old question: it is absolutely kosher for a harpist to perform with music, if they have memorized the music and have performed from memory many times. At what age is this acceptable? 40 and older, I would venture. However, that may mean photocopying the music onto heavy paper that will turn silently, and using a page-turner. The circumstances this year have been particularly challenging, having lost my mother just a few weeks ago. Nevertheless, I think I will play from memory, the only seeming problems being the slow movement of the Pescetti, and the Fugue in the Variations (I hope that’s all). There are 8 students playing in two master classes and five professional harpists performing, plus one (dare I say prodigious?) student. It will certainly be interesting, to say the least. And a good selection of music for sale, too. Now, I have to go design another ticket and write program notes.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your mother.

unknown-user
    Participant

It’s all over now. What a terrific experience! A star was born, perhaps even more than

I am amazed at your courage that you were able to organize a festival and still do a recital as well, and all this after losing your mother. Don’t beat yourself up over the Pescetti; that pedal passage is difficult enough without all that added stress. Congratulations on the success of your festival and your great performance of the piece that mattered the most. And congrats as well on giving a showcase to the great talents of your performers and teachers.

Sounds exhilarating!

Congratulations Saul! I am so impressed with your organizing and performing in such a fantastic harp festival! It is quite a remarkable testament to your talent that you were able to perform after having suffered such a huge personal loss.

I am sure Miss Lawrence and your mother were in attendance, beaming with pride.

I hope you take some time for yourself now as this is a major event in your life.

No one truly understands this until they have walked this path . Having lost both of my parents, I know the depth of this experience very well. Please know that you are being held up in the thoughts and prayers of many, and that we all extend our most sincere condolences to you. I hope you find a way to go to the conference to be with friends and celebrate your teacher being honored. If you are unable to attend, let me be one of many to thank you for your outstanding contributions to the harp world on stage and on-line!

unknown-user
    Participant

I have about 25% of what I would need to get there. I know a cheap place to stay, but I know I can’t go without buying at least $300 worth of music. That’s the best part, but I want to be with everyone so much. The airfares are around $700, too. I will promise to save up and attend the New York conference in 2012. 2010 will be in Tacoma again, which I might be able to go to, because I have enough frequent flyer miles, and if that matches with the World Harp Congress, then for sure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.