harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

Have any of the harp companies come up w/something better than wrap felts?
    I mean something sane…like you can put on w/out taking off the base.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hello, Sylvia,

Camac has solved this problem on their harps. They use carbon-fiber sleeves around the pedals, which rarely, if ever, need to be replaced. Unfortunately, you have to have a Camac harp to get this feature. I don’t think that it is available on other brands of harps.

Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

Sylvia
    Participant

They won’t just slide on?

Pedal wraps for concert harp

balfour-knight
    Participant

Sylvia, it says they are only for Camac harps. Sorry!

charles-nix
    Participant

Those look like silicone rubber tubing wrapped with leather. The tubing is available in many sizes and wall thicknesses. Looks like they took the tubing, wrapped it with suede leather, glued it down, and cut to length. Some other makers use rubber also for a padding layer.

You could probably find a combination of tubing and leather that would work on your harp. You _will_ have to regulate afterward.

It will wear (as does felt) and go out of regulation, and you’ll still have to regulate when you replace it. Can’t replace felts without regulating also, and you have to have the base off to correct the under/over motion at every regulation, so I don’t really see what one is gaining. A little savings in waiting for glue to dry, maybe. On a Camac, with their cable system, it may make things simpler.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi Charles!

I will add that the original cushion-wraps on Camac harp pedals are NOT these that are pictured–these are alternative leather wraps. The original ones are almost everlasting, from what I have heard and read, and you have to ask Camac directly to get replacements that are like the original carbon-fiber (or Teflon) wraps. The Camac manual states “Changing them should not be considered until there are clear signs of wear. When this occurs, ask us, and we will send you a replacement set.”

Glad to see your posts!
    Balfour

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.