Exposed harp in Nutcracker

• Participant
    Jennifer Yoneji on #151192

Thank you to everyone for the comments on the Nutcracker cadenza. I really appreciate your insights. Now, could you also tell me where, in addition to the cadenza, the harp is exposed during the piece? As you’ve probably guessed, I’m playing this for the first time. Any additional comments or suggestions you have will be welcome. Thank you!

Participant
    Mel Sandberg on #151193

If you are playing in they symphonic suite, no, the rest is almost nothing.

Participant
    Jennifer Yoneji on #151194

Thank you, Mel. It is the full ballet.

Participant
    rosalind-beck on #151195

Jennifer, I highly recommend that you get some CDs of the complete ballet. I would consider just about all of the ballet “exposed.” Main numbers in Act I: The Pine Forest in Winter, especially the descending arpeggios at the end of that number and Snowflake Ballet.

Participant
    Jennifer Yoneji on #151196

Thank you, Rosalind. I thought it all sounded so familiar that it had to be pretty audible. It’s quite a workout, isn’t it?

Participant
    Fearghal McCartan on #151197

Hi, there is quite an old, but still very good live recording of the full ballet by the Bolshoi Theatre Orch. I have it back home and will have a listen through and let you know when else the harp is busy. There are a few other places from what I can remember but I can’t remember which movements offhand.

Hope this reply isn’t too late for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.