harpcolumn

Exhibition in Nice, France: Erard et la Harpe Moderne

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Exhibition in Nice, France: Erard et la Harpe Moderne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

I was just in Nice and enjoyed this exhibition. I thought that some info might be worth posting.

From 13 May 2011 to 17 October 2011: Exhibition dedicated to Sébastian
    Erard’s invention of the double movement harp. It is the only event
    announced for 2011 to commemorate this important technological invention
    which influences harp production to this day.
    Many prestigious pieces are presented in this exhibition such as Georges
    Cousineau’s “14 pedal” harp (1782), Sébastien Erard’s first harp
    (1786), harps on loan from the Muséo Salvi (Italy), the Institut de
    France, various private collections and notably from the
    Gaveau-Erard-Pleyal collection lent to the Palais Lascaris by the
    company Axa in 2009.

There is a pdf of the exhibition catalogue (in French) that can be downloaded here.

More info about the exhibition is here.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oh, I’m jealous, Steve. I was just in France myself, but no time to go down to see the exhibition. Thanks for the PDF link–very interesting!

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Just visited the harp exhibit this Wednesday. It was really wonderful with 12 harps on display as well as many Erard and Pleyel pianos. There were books of letters written by Pierre Erard and Sebastian Erard and those ledgers with the serial numbers of Erard harps. There was a box of Pierre’s harp tools. I only wish I could have gotten a catalog of the exhibit, but there were none available that day. Thanks for the pdf!

If you can get there, the museum admission is free. It’s on a little side street in Nice in a lovely old palais. Be aware the harps are on the second and third floor and, as far as I could tell, there was no elevator, only the stairs.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I am soooooooo jealous! I have been trying to get my hands on the serial number ledgers for years, with no luck. I’ll be in Nice this fall. But the exhibit will be over by then I believe.

Alison
    Participant

it runs until

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.