harpcolumn

Electric harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Electric harps

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Kirsty North
    Participant

My first post too!

After years of playing my acoustic (which I still love) I bit the bullet and got the Camac 30 string Baby Blue. I was extremely lucky and found a second hand one reasonably locally (ie: the same continent!) and at great price. In an ideal world I would have gone for the DHC but there’s simply no way I can justify the price.

My main motivation for getting a fully electric harp is that I mostly play in folk groups and at pub sessions these days (I live in the Shetland Islands where life revolves around informal music sessions like these) and was getting very tired of being drowned out by fiddles and accordions. I also played at a rock concert and there was simply no easy way my acoustic could compete with several electric guitars/drums/bass etc, even when surrounded by mics!

The Baby Blue is fantastic as I can simply plug myself straight into the PA at gigs, or a small amp at other events. I know there’s so much more it can do that I’ve not tried yet and I’m trying to learn all the jargon associated with electric instruments. At the moment I’ve been having fun experimenting with various amp effects, some lovely and some no so much!

The only issue with it is the weight (I initially hoped to play with a harness but it’s far too heavy for me). There may only be 30 stings but my other harps have 31 and 19 so that’s no problem for me as I’m well used to it, and mainly play traditional Scottish music.

Not sure if that’s useful to anyone but that’s my thoughts on electric harps 🙂

phil cassista
    Participant

Hi. To that list of electric harps, please add Cassista Electric Harps. Prices for 26 to 30 string varieties, fully levered and with sound-responsive lights, etc, are in the $2800 to $3500 range. I hope anyone who is interested gets a chance to feel and hear them before making an electric harp purchase.

Cassista Electric Harps Home Page

David Kortier also makes electric harps, including some chromatic cross-strung versions. Here is a link to his page. I haven’t had the chance to hear his models, but I’m very curious about it myself.

http://www.kortier.com

gilda
    Participant

I’ve been trying to find a place to demo an electric harp for over a year. Am ready to buy one but like others who posted here, not without trying. I have heard several live, including Deboah in concert. But really want to feel it. Not sure what I’ll do, which is why I landed on this post.

Lily Scandiuzzi
    Participant

To start out I recommend a Harpy Athena 33 with levers. It is an electric harp with an acoustic body. That’s the most affordable choice right now.

Lily Scandiuzzi
    Participant

To start out I recommend a Harpy Athena 33 with levers. It is an electric harp with an acoustic body. That’s the most affordable choice right now. ..

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.