harpcolumn

Electric Harp Query

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Electric Harp Query

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Sawisky
    Participant

Hello all!

I am looking with serious interest into electric Celtic harps. These, from how they are advertised online, appear to be built with individual pick-ups and do not have an actual resonating chamber (so without a mic and speaker it is likely as resonant as an electric guitar). Does anyone have any experience with these? Any recommendations? Anyone try adding a distortion pedal? Any and all comments are much appreciated!

tony-morosco
    Participant

There are both electric acoustic and solid body electric harps. What you are describing is a solid body electric harp. No resonating chamber, and individual crystal pickups on each string.

There are several makers who make them. For the main makers they are all good. It’s a matter of which you prefer personally.

Lyon & Healy, Camac, and Kortier are the ones I am most familiar with. Mine is a Camac.

Distortion pedals work well with them, as do most electric guitar effects. However the harp can play more notes at once over a far greater range, and electric harps sustain a lot longer than guitars. It is easy to overdo effects. With electric harps a little can go a long way. They require a bit more restraint, and a very good dampening technique, than when playing electric guitar.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies