harpcolumn

Earthquakes

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Earthquakes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Last night, I experienced a small earthquake… and the first thing i did, rather than left the house… i ran down to my study to make sure my harp was allright…

Esma, I have a funny story for you:

tony-morosco
    Participant

I keep my harp in a corner. I put a felt cloth over the area where the body joins the neck and make sure it is firmly against the corner. It’s made it through a 6.9 with out falling.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I was out in California in September and paid a visit to Dale Barco. While we were talking in his workshop(for hours), I kept looking at the harps in there and wondered what the cord looped around the neck and mechanism and attached to a beam in the ceiling was for. I thought maybe he had some way of working on harps that I had not thought of! Then I finally asked him about it. He smiled and said it was earthquake protection. He advised all California harpists to do that. The cord is attached to a hook in the ceiling and is just long enough to loop once around the neck and mechanism(between two strings. It has a metal latch on it to hook onto the cord coming from the ceiling.

I was at the San Diego conference years ago when there was an earthquake that lasted 42 seconds!! It happened around 5 in the morning, and I woke up to the sound of coat hangers banging together in the closet and pictures banging on the wall. Being from Boston, it didn’t occur to me that this was an earthquake. I remember thinking as I woke up to all this noise, What the %$^@ are they doing in the next room?!?

harpglo-jean
    Participant

I keep my harp tucked away under my staircase with a small weighted trash can securing it against the wall.

I was advised to strap my harp to the wall when on a cruise ship, so I think that would work for an earthquake if the wall is solidly built. Check your insurance for riders.

Angie Kelly
    Participant

I know this is an old thread, but I’m new to California…
    They sell those cables for big flat screen TVs, could those be adapted?

Angie Kelly
    Participant

one more earthquake related question-
    how do you protect it from other falling objects/debris?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies