harpcolumn

Double-strung Harp saga: redux

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Double-strung Harp saga: redux

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    balfour-knight
    Participant

That is a nice new photo of you for Harp Column, Allison–way to go!

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Hi again, I got a wee demo video done to share how it sounds!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi, again, Allison,

Well, I just now got back to the computer, and was DELIGHTED to find your new video of you playing your new double-strung!  You did a beautiful job finishing the harp AND playing it!  Thanks for posting this.  I, too, hope that Mae sees this and is encouraged to post a video of her new harp so we all can hear and enjoy it.  I have been asked by several to post one of my new Dusty FH36S in cherry, “Cherie,” but I do not have the technology to do that.  Maybe one of our friends can help me do that some time!  I played the Dusty in church today and everyone loved it.

Best of luck with the new harp,

Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I certainly concur with Balfour that you played beautifully and did a FANTASTIC job on your harp. You should be very proud of such an accomplishment. Look forward to more videos from you.  And, a very nice arrangement of The Ash Grove which really showcases  your little harp’s uniqueness of the double strings.

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Thank you so much, Balfour, Carol Lynn, and Gretchen! I really appreciate your kind words. 🙂

balfour-knight
    Participant

Thank you, Allison, and I meant to say that you were very clever in avoiding the sharp in the Ash Grove, playing an A instead of an F#, since you do not yet have any levers on the harp!  Way to go!  Angi Bemiss, Simply the Harp, who I do arrangements for lever harp with, is the “Queen” of avoiding lever changes, so she would love what you did.

When you do install the levers, one of the nice things about the double-strung harp is the ability to use sharps on one side of the harp while you have naturals on the other side, according to Biagio and other sources I have read.  I have trouble thinking that way–I love that the pedal harp can make instant sharps/flats on all the notes on the harp of one pitch at the same time, without having to manually raise so many levers.  But I love the TONE and feel of my lever harp, Cherie, most of all, ha, ha!  Why can’t Dusty make a Celtic pedal harp?  I would absolutely adore a pedal harp that felt and sounded like my Dusty, and that was as light and easy to transport!

Best to all of you,

Balfour

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Balfour- you should make a video of yourself playing Cherie. I just do mine with an iPad, and even though I’m not using a special mic or anything, it gets the job done. 🙂 Uploading is really straightforward from there. I’ve also used my regular digital camera in the past. That was lower quality, but it was an old camera… 😉

I do tend to avoid lever changes most of the time, but I’m looking forward to having some levers to open up they keys I can play in, and use those tips and tricks Biagio (and others) mentioned.

I like the thought of a tiny Dusty Celtic-pedal harp. Haha! Keep spreading the idea around, and maybe you’ll create a market to convince them to make it…

Biagio
    Participant

Lovely Allison!  Boy, you sure mastered “doubling” in a hurry!

Balfour, can’t help with a “pedal Celtic” but if you would be satisfied with single action: Arsalaan Fey is back in business after a hurricane/fire devastated his workshop. Arsalaan took over and refined the Douglas/Dilling harp which he now calls the “Joy” (to honor Jocelyn “Joy” Chang).  He has said, once in a while, that he might try modifying it to double action (designs do exist for that and he owns the patents from Clark, I think).  There is a Joy for sale right now on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Douglass-Dilling-Single-Action-Lever-Harp-/222179883765?hash=item33baf3faf5:g:gVgAAOSwYmZXF5c0

Blessings all,

Biagio

wil-weten
    Participant

Great ‘demo’ video, Allison. Your little double harp sounds really nice and I love your arrangement of The Ash Grove

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Thanks, Biagio and Wil! I’m having fun with it!  Now, to learn some new tunes for it– Ash Grove is the only one I have that’s even a little arranged for the double so far. 🙂

Biagio
    Participant

Allison, you are very welcome!

Beth Kolle and Laurie Riley have produced two books of arrangements for the double; you can order them here:

https://laurierileymusic.wordpress.com/books-by-laurie-riley/

Laurie also has a DVD out but, conveniently, she recently posted the entire thing on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMG9lZOwJds

B&L’s Beginner book for the double only has a few tunes but a lot of special exercises.  Their versions of Chanter’s Tune, Einini and Si Beag Si Mor in the beginner book will give you a big boost into more advanced arrangements to do on your own.  I no longer have the second book but will be happy to give you the beginner one.

I understand that Cynthia Shelhart also has a doubles collection – haven’t seen that one.  Her Tunes to Go though is all lead sheet (400 of them) – very good source to play around with the double (or any other).

Have fun!

Biagio

Allison Stevick
    Participant

Ah yes 🙂 Beth and Laurie’s books are on my wish list. I got Cynthia Shellhart’s with my harp, and have been going through it a bit. Once I get my levers installed, it will be easier because I won’t have to transpose on-the-fly to play half the tunes. 🙂

Also, I’m SUPER excited that Laurie put her double strung dvd on YouTube! I’m definitely going to be using that! Thanks for the tips!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hello all!  Thanks for all the good response to this thread.  Allison, I barely know what an iPad is, and like Carl S. has said, “I am a caveman when it comes to this sort of thing!” ha, ha!  Biagio, thanks for the Dilling harp info, but my sweet wife would shoot me if I got interested in another harp, you know!  I do have enough joy with one lever harp and one pedal harp.  Hope all of you are having a great day!

Harp Hugs,

Balfour

Biagio
    Participant

Ha ha, Balfour I was just funning.  Though it did occur to me that other readers might find it interesting.  How many harps do we really need, anyway??  I’ve still one and maybe two more that mostly just sit there.

I got into doubles because Laurie is (duh) into it but it is not really “me.”  Sort of wish I had kept one of those I made for her workshops and students but at some point one must say “enough.”  Besides I really really want those lower octaves!

It interests me though that there seems to be an idea out there that playing the double is difficult.  Actually it’s easier in many ways if you are not playing classical music and sure is a lot easier to build.

It’s also interesting to me how things change: thirty years ago many of the “folk” harps being made in the US were wire strungs or variations of the Clark/Morley.  When most people heard “harp” they immediately pictured a pedal instrument.

Then folks like Bolles, Witcher, and Caswell started to experiment with designs – a bit later  Laurie and Liz Cifani came up with the modern double – and gosh now wire and double are starting to catch on after being relegated to the “too hard to play” specialty category.

Ain’t it great?

Biagio

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi everyone!  Biagio, all of that is indeed very interesting.  Thanks for all the posts.  I am so glad that there is a harp out there for everyone.  It would be very boring if all harps were the same!

Cheers and blessings,

Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies