Hello to all!
(I feel like I’m the only one creating posts here, and they’re all about Double-Strung harps!)
As you know, I come from a place (France) where we play the harp quite a lot, both Pedal harps and Celtic ones. But double-strung harps are unknown here. My teacher tells me about a collegue of hers who plays the medieval Arpa Doppia, but that’s not quite what I’m looking for.
I’ve been looking online for resources to teach myself in the meanwhile :
– of course there is the Laurie Riley DVD that is available in full on YouTube.
– we can also find on YouTube the Carolyn Deal (aka Smilingharp) videos where she teaches her tricks and techniques.
Both are great ways to start with the Double-Strung and have the immense advantage of being free.
However, I was looking at other ressources, seeing as there are a few harpists that have published books. Most, if not all, of these books are available as PDFs which is a wonderful way of getting the books instantly, anywhere in the world!
I was wondering what your opinion of these books were, and if you had others to recommend?
– The first is Laurie Riley and Beth Kollé’s books :
Double-Strung harp for Beginners, The double-strung harp, and Advanced Compositions for the Double-Strung harp
They are available on Sylvia Wood’s website, Harpcenter .
I have bought the first two books and am still reading them. I’m interested in the opinion of anyone else who has read them : what did you think? How did it help your practice?
I have found other references on this website Enjoy the Harp . I’ve looked at the websites and was hoping that someone could give me advice before spending quite a bit of money purchasing them one by one…
Other references include :
– Cynthia STELHART has the book and CD set called Make mine a double! Available on her website : Cynthiashelhart
– Joanne GRIFFIN has multiple book of the Double Delight series, including Christmas double-strung melodies.
Also available on her website : Joannegriffinmusic
– Cindy Blevins has a lot of books available : there are about 10 of them, compounding a collection called “Feast of Favourites“.
Info here : Cindyblevinsmusic
I’m curious about her book called “Double-Strung Compendium” : is it various songbooks bundled in one? Is it a method book? Has anyone read it?
As a general rule, the books seem to either be tune books, that contain pieces composed for Double-Strung, or be methods book. Some combine both. It is not always clear which is which, however.
Have you found other references that I might be missing? I’ve taken the time to compound these links because I believe it can help people down the line. Any opinion on any of these books mentioned above would be greatly appreciated!