harpcolumn

do you talk to your harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break do you talk to your harp?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    mia-strayer
    Participant

yes I’ve even named them

i love my harps a lot

I’ve got 2 harps both are girls, from Lyon & Healy in Chicago & their taller than me

ever time i play it feels like I’m hugging them & after i play i give her a kiss on her body

one is a natural shamrock lever harp named Emily the other is a 85 GP in mahogany & her name is Gina

go to harps & harp accessories & check out harp names tab

brianna-halpern
    Participant

Yes, and I don’t see what the big deal is. In a few ways, owning a harp is like having a new pet. Its expensive, demands attention, high maintenance, and was purchased for the love/appreciation/dedication. I guess its weird. I don’t have that kind of connection with my car or my couch. I don’t greet my computer with a hug or a hello. I suppose it just has to do with the size and nature of the instrument. I have never heard of anyone buying and insuring a harp if they did not LOVE the instrument.

As for decorations: Yes! I hang a lei from the crown of my column made of scrunched cloth feathers (there’s no plastic so it does not buzz/scratch) I kept it on and forgot about it after a while. I liked playing with it because it reminded me not to take myself too seriously. A beacon in the insanity that was the music department, if you will. For one of my first final Juries I FORGOT TO TAKE IT OFF BEFORE I WENT ON STAGE. There was a time limit and I realized I could not remove it so I carried on. Under the comments the judges wrote “5/5 for attire, even the harp was well dressed! :)” I guess I lucked out. Sometimes if I am playing a gospel choir gig, I will ask what color the uniforms are and hang a matching scarf the same way the day of the performance. So far, that has worked out very nice

Susan Abken
    Participant

I do not talk to my harp. I do, however, talk to one of our station wagons. Her name is Bertha, a Swedish Volvo, and she has over 240,000 miles on her and a few quirks. She is the only inanimate object I currently converse with in English. I gave away the rebellious vacuum cleaner because he would not respond to my commands and exhortations and was a pain to live with. His replacement is a well-mannered Miele.

Save your speech for living beings! Besides talking to my husband, and children, and friends, and once in a while, to a few treasured friends in the next life, I am also known for conversing with a certain cat and a dog, and the birds in the backyard and the local park. I mock the crows on long walks. (They have to speak first.) I also talk to my parsley, sometimes, or to any plant that looks like it’s ailing. Right now they are all pretty happy, except for a Christmas cactus in Intensive Care.

We musician-artist types have a right, duty and responsibility to talk back to the crows, rant at the conditions in our lives, and stay on the cutting edge of the creative exercise of Freedom of Speech, Song, Performance and Expression. The rest of the world would be terribly bored without us, and needs to follow our lead.

People got through The Great Depression by keeping their sense of humor and dipping into the well of creativity, and through faith and prayer. Life today in the West is similar.

katerina
    Participant

It is all fine, as long as it doesn’t chat back. ;-)

Yes, I do. I actually talk to everything: to my computer, to washing machine, to the door lock, to my power tools, chisels, etc., – when something doesn’t work properly or I don’t have enough technical skills to manipulate it the way I wanted.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Katerina, If my harp talked back to me about the way my playing abuses it, the language would not be fit to print!

mia-strayer
    Participant

LOL

Allison Stevick
    Participant

When I talk to mine, it’s mostly to encourage cooperation on her part… Or is it cooperation from my fingers? Haha… I also tend to say “hello” when I walk through the harp room (aka: the extra room that has the harp and also lots of random non-music stuff in it), and whisper “ok, here we go, time to play” before starting to play in a public setting. Not long conversations, just a little bonding. 🙂

Carlin
    Participant

Yes, usually when I got really frustrated when the strings keep breaking. I dont name them though, I just call them by their model name, like Daphne. They are my babies and I hug them too sometimes for no apparent reason than just feeling like it

I do talk to my harp,
    After all, he is made of wood and since it used to be part of a tree, I’d like to imagine that his energy carried on into his new “life” as a harp. I feel like all my thoughts drift away when I play and none of my other instruments soothe me like him. He and I make a great team. I also greet him every time I enter the room he’s in. I don’t look at my harp as a mere material possession as it does require constant attention and dedication. I appreciate the music I’m inspired to write and play and at the end of the day, inanimate or not, I love my harp.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.