harpcolumn

Do you offer in home consultations for brides?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Do you offer in home consultations for brides?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    alishia-joubert
    Participant

I have three different packages for weddings. Two of them include consultations AFTER they have booked the wedding. My studio is decorated Shabby Chic and I offer beer, wine, tea, soft drinks or bottled water. They last about 45 mins and are a huge part of my business. I almost always get a good review on various on-line planning boards as a result. I don’t do rehearsals, and often tell them that what they want is a musician who is seasoned enough to know what to do when things DON’T go as planned in the rehearsal. The last thing you want is dead air because the musician stopped exactly at the point they rehearsed the night before, but the bridesmaids are taking a bit longer to get down the aisle, the flower girl had a meltdown on the way down, the bride forgot her bouquet…etc. This is also my argument when it comes to DJ’s. I can find an appropriate place to stop a piece and make it sound like it was meant to be that way without an annoying fade out in the middle of a song. My clients love that!

robin roys

Nice ideas! Thank you! You are absolutely right about a seasoned musician that can taylor music to the situation. The idea of a DJ just “clicking” when the bride is at the alter is awful, but some of the brides just don’t get that.

Thanks so much for your reply.
    Robin Roys

David Ice
    Participant

Yikes!!!

robin roys

I had a wedding planner tell me that she was “certified” in weddings and therefore more qualified to make decisions regarding the wedding ceremony then I, the lowly harpist, or the bride who hired her for her “expertise.”

You run into some really odd people in this business.

You have to just laugh, sometimes, but I will NOT be playing my harp over a swimming pool on some plank that the wedding planner came up with just because she has “wedding credentials”!!!!! : )

rr

David Ice
    Participant

Quite honestly, I’d find out who/what “certified” her and report her.

robin roys

You have given me a good laugh and of course, you are totally right!!!!!

I did NOT play over the swimming pool, let me assure you!

Sometimes I feel like the person that posted they don’t do weddings anymore!

However, for the most part, weddings go pretty well and I enjoy them. It’s just these few queen bee wedding planners that have made me want to scream, lately!!!!!!

I wouldn’t know how to report a wedding planner. Many of them run their own business and there is no one to complain to. I’ll have to give that some thought, next time, however!

David Ice
    Participant

Here’s one organization:

It’s quite simple – tell the bride/planner/whatever that you charge the same amount for rehearsals as for the actual ceremony.

…”oh, perhaps we don’t really need you there after all…”

;-)

Though to be honest, rehearsals still aren’t that common in the UK. (And long may that remain so!)

I do offer home consultations though. I like to meet people face to face and have a chat about the day over a cup of tea. I feel much more confident that I know exactly what they want, and I’m sure it puts their minds at rest too.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.