harpcolumn

Do you have a ritual of some kind before you perform?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Do you have a ritual of some kind before you perform?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

I read where one girl always ate chocolate before she performed.

kay-lister

PRAY!

Kay

Sylvia
    Participant

I ALWAYS pray before I go out there that I will play well and we can have a beautiful (wedding, funeral, dinner, whatever.)

Karen Johns
    Participant

I pray too- and if I have one, I’ll eat a banana to help calm my nerves about a half hour or so before the performance. It’s a fine line with caffeine for me- if I have one cup of coffee or a coke I find it helps my focus, but more than that and I’m jittery and hyper-nervous, ALWAYS a bad thing!

I’m also looking into the alternative technique called

Having been a dancer in my younger days, I try to always do some serious stretching before a high-stakes gig: shoulders, neck, back, legs- the works. It really helps!

barbara-low
    Participant

I go to the ladies room.

Liam M
    Participant

My ritual is to avoid practice, jam with Jimmy Beffet and conduct all sorts of experiments with various harp configurations and ideas.

I usually think about preparing myself. One of my better performances was when I had no time to do anything after rehearsing but get dressed and go on! Dark chocolate, I guess that’s the new ritual, and cola. I did find that a bagel and cream cheese was a nice fuel that went down easy. Heavy food is not good.

I definitely think about making a transition. One is a persona as a soloist, not your ordinary self. You are making magic. I think about cleansing, leaving thoughts behind, dedicating the space, what I want to achieve, mostly what I want the audience to experience. I create a space for them. I tune to them like the harp, and with my program carefully arranged, I serve them a series of delights and stimulations until they are brought to their feet in ovation (or exiting). In fact, my record for standing ovations since I began programming very deliberately for them has been something like 9 out of 10 recitals. I messed up the last one because I ended with Salzedo’s Suite of Eight Dances instead of his Recessional, which has a very rousing ending. The Rumba is not rousing enough.

Pieces to end a recital with:

Salzedo’s Ballade, Recessional, Scintillation, Variations

Hmm, I can’t think of anything else that is sure-fire. Salzedo was great at endings.

And don’t end with a piece with an ensemble like the Debussy Danses or Trio. A Concerto like the Ginastera, okay.

katie-buckley
    Participant

Why not end with Debussy Danses or the Trio? Both are fabulous pieces! Then again, concert order is something that is very personal. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies