harpcolumn

Decision time

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Decision time

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

After renting a Hempson 34 for a year, I’m now considering buying a harp.
    I was going to take a year out from it to concentrate on uni and then give the instrument the attention it deserves when I’m not worrying about essays and exams. I discovered though, that after a year’s renting, I get money off buying a harp if I do it within the next two months. The question I have now, is do I buy now and if so, which harp? Last year, I didn’t put in the effort to learn because I was away from my teacher at uni and got horribly out of practice when deadlines approached. I don’t know if this is just uni or whether I’m genuinely struggling to commit to the instrument. On the other hand, now I’ve had to take my Hempson back, I really miss it and I still aspire to be able to play properly. It would have been nice to have a year out to consider and to really be able to commit myself after uni but if I can save £300 or so by buying now, it has to be worth it.

Decision 2 is which harp to buy. My main two choices are a Hempson 34 again or a Ravenna 26.
    The Hempson: has a wider range, I’ve had one before, looks a lot nicer and there are 1 or 2 available second hand

The Ravenna: is way more transportable, cheaper and has a gorgeous sound

So any thoughts?

harpglo-jean
    Participant

I would advise going with the Hempson, because it has the most strings, and you’re already familiar with it, since you’ve been renting it…I own a Ravenna 26, and do love the tone and the portability, as you mentioned.

deb-l
    Participant

I am the wrong person to help with ‘which harp’ decision LOL..

but, as someone who has struggled with the same decision, am I committed enough to buy a harp and always missing it when I return my rental, I finally came to the conclusion that I need to have a harp in my life and am so appreciative to have one again that I decided to make the commitment.

Emma Preuss

Both of these are really useful thankyou. Deb L.: It’s nice to hear from someone who’s a casual player.

So the lack of range really makes a lot of difference then? I’m still very much a beginner and thus far haven’t made that much use of the lower range.

deb-l
    Participant

Emma, there is a lot of music out there for smaller harps without a lot of range.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

What about a Ravenna 34?

Tacye
    Participant

Do you get the discount off the 2nd hand Hempsons too?

The Ravenna is the better quality harp

Emma Preuss

The Ravenna 34 is out of my price range at the moment.

I have tried the Ravenna 24. It has a lovely sound but I can’t really judge if I’d miss the extra strings. I did enjoy playing it though. Then again, I love the Hempson. :S

As for what music, I like a bit of a variety. I don’t think I’m going to be playing a lot of complex classical pieces though. I would like to learn a few more modern pieces, covers etc though and it could be a problem for that :/

This guy does

lydia-sander
    Participant

Have you heard of Harps of Praise before?

Emma Preuss

I’m in the UK so that wouldn’t be very practical for me. I’m going to be getting one from Clive Morley harps. I can drive there and pick one up which is great because it means I can try the various harps out. The only problem is that I’m hideously rusty right now so I can’t really give any harp much of a run for its money.

Thanks for the link, I’ll have to investigate that 🙂

deb-l
    Participant

it sounds like you really like the tone of the Ravenna.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies