harpcolumn

Debussy Sonate mistake

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Debussy Sonate mistake

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

I just got an email from Kathy Bride about the Carl Fischer Edition of Debussy’s Sonate for flute, viola, and harp. She was coaching a group and the flutist found a mistake in the flute part. It is in measure 161, end of the third beat.  The note printed is an E, but it should be an F#. Again, this is in the flute part.  UGH! You can’t imagine how many times I, and two other people, proofed the galleys, and we proofed probably 5 or 6 rounds of galleys, and each time found mistakes(fewer each time, but nevertheless mistakes). Proofing music is one of the travails of Hercules!

john sacchi
    Participant

nothing gets past kathleen bride 🙂

carl-swanson
    Participant

Actually it was the flutist she was coaching who caught it. Kathy emailed me to ask if in fact this was a mistake or if Debussy wrote it like that.  The same figure appears on the previous page and is an F# there. Thus the question.  Debussy tended to make little changes to the same figure that repeats in a piece. But not this time.   I had to pull out the manuscript and sure enough, it was a mistake.  So far, it’s the only one in the printed edition that anyone has found.  I already emailed my editor about it, and before the next printing, I’m planning on going through the entire Sonate again to see if I can find anything else.  Kathy has been using this edition exclusively since it came out and she loves it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.