Cushion for harp stool

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

Angela Biggs on #157573

Hello everyone!

When I upgraded my harp last fall, the new harp was 1″ taller than the old, and the cheap foam footstool I was using as a slightly-too-short seat suddenly became much too small. I’ve made do for a while by putting a phone book under the footstool, but the arrangement is not stable, the foam is slowly sinking because of all the extra time I’m spending with my lovely new harp, and I’m developing some serious strain in my shoulders. Plus, because I’m too low, I’m plucking the strings too close to the soundboard and my tone is suffering immensely. 🙁

I found a dream harp bench, but it’s going to take me a lot of time to save up the $400 to buy it! Meanwhile, I found an adjustable stool on Amazon that would only cost $40; since it’s adjustable, I would also have the chance to play around and find the ideal height for the nicer bench I’d like to buy eventually.

The problem: the stool on Amazon has a hard plastic seat. Obviously, that’s not going to work well for long practice sessions, but I’ve been all over the internet and can’t seem to find a comfortably thick cushion that will fit it (13″ diameter). I don’t have the tools or the inclination to make one myself. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help.

Angela

Participant
    Alison on #157574

If you get a round, feather filled cushion, you’ll be fine… I am in the UK, so I can’t really shop for you !!

Sylvia Clark on #157575

This is a bit long, but I get to the point after a while.

Participant
    Alison on #157576

Admittedly a round stool isn’t ideal because you can’t shift sideways and you can feel a little bit stuck on a perch. Also make sure it doesn’t have a convex lip, this happened to me when I bought a stool when away from home and the lip caught the

Participant
    Paul and Brenda on #157577

We have used both rectangular and round bath, or shower, stools.

Participant
    karen on #157578

Can you share what your dream harp stool is and possibly a website for us to check it out in case it is the perfect one for any of us too?!
    Thanks!

Angela Biggs on #157579

Wow, thanks for all of the tips!

For right now, I only play “in”. I just picked up some of the music to start studying for certification as a harp therapist, so eventually I will want an “out” bench. I play a lever harp, not a pedal, so my feet stay on the floor and there’s very little shifting involved. 🙂

The “dream bench” is here: http://www.bbrwoodworks.com/harp.html — in figured cherry to match my harp, and with a navy micro-suede fabric for the cushion, to match the painting on the soundboard.

I ended up finding a cushion that *might* work for the stool, so I ordered it and we’ll see what happens. If it doesn’t work, you can bet I’ll be right back here working through your suggestions!

😀

Participant
    jessica-wolff on #157580

I bought a cheap ($5) but sturdy lyreback chair when the old St. John Hotel ended its run. It was just a little bit low for playing harp. (Harp 63″, me 60″.) Then I found a brilliantly colored fat Burmese pillow that did the trick.

Participant
    cyndee-casey on #157581

Hi, I just wanted to make a suggestion for a musicans stool that I have owned for many years and it works perfectly with all my harps as they are all different sizes and you just adjust the chair up and down to the perfect height for the harp that you are playing.

M Qadeer on #157582
    HI how are you dear;
    thanks for messaging
    the particular of
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.