harpcolumn

Curcio Harp Primer

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Curcio Harp Primer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi Folks,

Has anyone ever used Stephanie Curcio’s Harp Primer book?

Misty Harrison
    Participant

What about Suzanne Balderstone’s books? I use those for beginners, they’re great as long as you go slowly and explain everything to the student because they have a lot of information. They’re better than harp olympics for young students with no background. There’s a theory one and one with music for playing.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Mellisa,

I was trained from the start with Stephanie’s Student Harpist series with my first teacher, and then about a year later I switched teachers to Stephanie herself. She is one of the most amazing teachers I have ever seen or heard of in my life and her Student Harpist series was the best foundation I can imagine. I haven’t actually worked with her Primer set but I don’t doubt that it is equally as commendable. I wouldn’t think that usually an “alternate notation” would be detremental at all – it just may be a way for younger children to be able to read music without having to learn the relatively complicated standard notation. For learning the standard notation – I imagine that Stephanie made her books in a way that “real” music could be easily learned, so it may just be a matter of introducing new notation (like learning a new technique + notation like pdlt or such) and phasing out old notation. For example – how often do you find fingerings placed in “real” non beginner music? Almost never unless using a certain finger has benefits of some manner. Also, in Stephanie’s Student Harpist series, she used a pair of glasses to denote “look!” which meant that there was something unexpected under it; for example: in her piece solace there is a measure with a single G root-5-8

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.