harpcolumn

Cross-Strung Harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Cross-Strung Harps

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I am intrigued by this sort of harp, but have not yet had opportunity to play one. I am curious what models are available. I am aware of:

Stoney End Isabelle cross-strung lap harp
    Blessley Orion cross-strung harp
    Muma inline cross-strung harp
    Blevins has six models of cross-strung

Any discussion or input on what cross-strung harp you own, how you would describe the sound, which models are most resonant, etc. would be useful.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I don’t play them, so I can’t give an opinion, but I thought I would just add to your list. Glen Hill at Mountain Glen Harps makes beautifully carved custom cross strung harps.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Julietta,

Here are some previous threads that bear on your question:

Cross strung thread 1

Cross strung thread 2

I’ve only been playing the Cross-strung 9 months now, during 7 of which I only had the Caitlin.

That’s Harper’s Blessley in the videos.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Jennifer,

You referred to people who have “less positive things to say about their cross-strungs,”

That comment was in reference to Argent Fox harps.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Oops-

In the future, I’ll ask the poster what a

Right now I’m leaning towards getting the Stoney End Isabelle since they have a wonderful payment plan for two years. My dream cross-strung right now is the Blevins Xenith, but I’ll have to wait to invest in it. I’m not sure how much long-term use I would get out of the lap harp version. My dream lap harp is the double strung version since you can practice left hand parts up an octave or two making it the most superb compressed harp for travel. Also, the double row of strings increases the overall resonance. I’m

Maria Myers
    Participant

Are you the same person as Julieanne Rabens?

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Julietta,

The cross-strung definitely allows you to play improvise over traditional jazz tunes.

Hi Maria,
    My full name is Julietta Anne Rabens, and I have used a few variations on it through the years including Julieanne.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.