harpcolumn

CPE Bach Sonata Questions

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire CPE Bach Sonata Questions

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    amy-shafer
    Participant

I am doing some research on this sonata and wondered if anyone here would be able to give me any information about some of these questions:

The most recent edition is in the ‘The Complete Works: C P E Bach’, but have there been any recent European editions?
    Was there ever an edition published behind the iron curtain during the Soviet era?
    Has it been performed continuously since CPE Bach wrote it, or was it lost and then rediscovered?
    If rediscovered, by whom?
    When did it come back into popularity as a fashionable piece?
    The earliest recording of which I am aware is the 1958 recording by Marcel Grandjany; were there any before that or was his the first?
    Was Grandjany responsible for introducing this work to the modern harp world?
    Both Grandjany’s and Lawrence’s transcriptions/editions of this Sonata were published in 1963; is there any known significance to this or was it merely a coincidence? Were there any published editions available prior to these?

I have not been able to find any reliable sources where I might obtain this information, so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.