harpcolumn

Covering your harp at home

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Covering your harp at home

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

The technicians are always advising us to cover the harp lightly when not in use, because fumes from cooking, ordinary house dust, etc. will eventually not only damage gold leaf, but clog

A student’s mom once surprised

That is a new one on me. I have never heard covering the harp recommended at all. In Minnesota, it seemed to be the rule that if the harp was kept covered (all we had was canvas) the strings would break. They need to react to the air. Still, a very light dust cover seems like a decent idea, but not if you have cats who will climb it. Anyone want to make them cheaply?

diane-michaels
    Spectator

I think Four Seasons was showing a sheer “nightie” style dust cover at the last conference, but I don’t see one on their website.

elena-k-pohl
    Participant

I would buy a chiffon or voile cover for my harp (Salvi Sinfonetta) if someone could make one!

I noticed that Lyon & Healy is now selling the old-style canvas harp covers as dust covers. These are the kind that supposedly encourage string breakage, so I would not use them as they really close it up. They are good for harp moving, though. One can buy bolts of cheesecloth from art supply stores, I think, which could work.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.