harpcolumn

Concerto Search

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Concerto Search

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    HoneysuckleHarp
    Participant

Hello! I am a harp student looking to learn my first concerto. I am currently in Suzuki Book 5. I am looking for recommendations around that level. (Intermediate?) The concerto should be for harp and full orchestra. Thank you!

Victoria
    Participant

I am not familiar with the Suzuki books levels, but the Handel concerto would probably be a start? The original version (not the Grandjany or Salzedo ones) is quite simple…it’s not full orchestra though.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

What does your teacher say? I agree maybe urtext Handel or The Vivaldi Concerti – I think they are D major and C major – arranged by Kathy Bundock Moore are the easiest. Not for full orchestra either! Maybe Dittersdorf (or one movement of it). I think all those are on you tube. Isn’t the Suzuki graduation level 4 piece Handel 1st movt?

I find all versions of the Handel equally hard, no matter how many notes. Nevertheless, it is usually the first one taught. There are many others. The Saint-Saens Morceau de Concert, Virgil Thomson’s Autumn, and one of the many classical-era concertos are all worth considering. The Dittersdorf was my first, that is the most accessible, I think.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.