harpcolumn

Comparison dreaming

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Comparison dreaming

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    A. Riley
    Participant

So I’m dreaming about upgrading from my little sharpsicle to something bigger and more versatile — and more beautiful, I admit it. As always, there are budgetary considerations. I’m dreaming of a fully levered mid-size harp that would have an honored place in my living room.

So, help me compare:
    L & H Ogden
    Blevins Encore 34
    Dusty Strings Ravenna 34

All three are beautiful, all three are from respected manufacturers, all three are within budgetary bounds (more or less). But all three have distinct personalities, wouldn’t you say? Tell me all about it.

(If you need some info about intended use — this would be for me, a middle-aged hobby musician looking to please myself and my friends with simple arrangements of folk & popular music, etc., etc., at home. No career intentions, no pedal harp intentions.)

kay-lister

All you mentioned are very nice harps.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I think it depends on what you want to play. If you want to play classical or more popish music I would go with the Ogden.

If you are primarily interested in Celtic music then I would go with teh Ravenna.

But as you said, they are all great harps.

andy-b
    Participant

I agree with both Tony and Kay. I have a Thormahlen Serenade model that I love. I’ve also had an Ogden and tried the Ravenna. You might go to the Atlanta Harp Center website as they have soundclips of both the Ravenna and the Ogden posted. There really is a difference in sound and feel between them, so it depends in great part on the music you want to play. Hope this helps,

Andy

priscilla-kleiner
    Participant

I have a Blevins Consort 36 and I love it. I think the string tension on my harp is a bit lighter than the Dusty Ravenna that I very briefly tried – not a whole lot, but I liked the Blevins better. I haven’t ever played an Ogden.

Folk Harpie
    Participant

I agree with Tony, the Ogden is a charming harp but its sound is not properly ‘celtic’,so to speak. The Ravenna has a wonderful tone, while I can’t talk about the Blevins since I’ve never tried one.

Now, perhaps I’ll make your choice even more difficult, but have you ever considered a Salvi Donegal? If you’re into folk music, it could be a good choice. Its sound is bright, pure and well balanced, a true pleasure to the ear. I’m not sure about the price though. It could be a bit more expensive but you could always look for a second hand one….

olivia-diamond
    Participant

I have a Blevinsong 34 and love it. The service and support from Blevins are wonderful. For the price this harp has good sound, a nice touch and keeps its pitch well. I am very happy that I bought a Blevins. I would not have known to check out Blevins harps if my teacher had not recommended them.

peg-coats
    Participant

I’m a big fan of Dusty Strings harps (I own one myself, the Crescendo 34).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.