harpcolumn

College level summer harp opportunities

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp College level summer harp opportunities

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I recently recieved a scholarship to further my education over the

Ann Marie Liss
    Participant

There are many wonderful musica festivals that are appropriate for the collegiate level such as Aspen, etc., but if you are looking for more of a harp-specific opportunity not mainly focusing on orchestral repertoire, you might consider the contacting Sylvia Norris in Traverse City Michagan about the harp seminar in July given by Isabelle Perrin–an excelent

louise-vickerman
    Participant

Hi Brittany! Kathleen Bride’s summer program at Eastman (The Practical Harpist) is open to late high school through college level/young professional students and is held July 9-14 (www.esm.rochester.edu/summer), the closing date for applications is June 1st. You may be able to get college credit for attending. There is also the Central Coast Harp Workshop in San Luis Obispo, CA from July 22-24 which focuses on the harp in chamber music and is taught by Marcia Dickstein (of the Debussy Trio), info at: http://www.debussytrio.com. If your scholarship does not specify you attend a particular camp and is for “education purposes” you could use it toward attending the AHS conference in San Francisco, I think that would definitely count as educational!

In case you cannot find a suitable summer camp, or they are full, Judy Loman teaches throughout the summer. It’s not a “camp” per se, but she’s an amazing teacher and an unbelievably great harpist. I studied with Judy through university, and in the summer several of us harp students would meet up at Judy’s farm and take lessons. If you’re ever in Vancouver, BC, I also teach through most of the summer. I am thinking of starting up a summer program some day, but for this summer, I am going to see about rounding up an ensemble of harp students to play together and then play for each other.

unknown-user
    Participant

I strongly recommend the Chautauqua Institution summer program. The harpist plays in an excellent full-size orchestra with weekly concerts in the main amphitheater, has weekly lessons with Beth Schwartz, and a cabin in the woods for practicing all to yourself. I had a great summer there, and we toured to Ontario and Avery Fisher Hall!

I think I remember a Beth Schwarz at Camden when I was studying there with Miss Chalifoux! Am I hallucinating or is it the same person? It would have been in the mid-70’s.

unknown-user
    Participant

It is certainly possible. She studied with Lucy Lewis and Lucile Lawrence, played in the orchestras in San Antonio and Pittsburgh.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics