harpcolumn

Clunkers we have known and loved….

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Clunkers we have known and loved….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Barbara,

I ended up losing around $11,000 in the end. But most of that was the exchange rate changing so drastically in the 9 months it took to sort out. And well, no one can control the exchange rate. But if they had have listened to me in the first place, well, it would not have taken so long and not been so frustrating and I would not have lost so much money. But well, there is nothing I can do about that issue.

I did contact the Better Business

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Kathleen,

It ain’t a nice feeling is it? To feel that someone has played you for a sucker…..I am sorry that you went through that. It does kind of taint your love of you instrument….at least you had the determination to get it sorted and get a fine instrument in the end.

Lots of Love to you and hubby.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Kathleen and Rosemary, it’s horrible that they did this to you. Like Rosemary, I live in an obscure corner of the globe and if I want to personally inspect a harp before I buy it, I would have to get on an airplane because the local reps don’t bring in stock for you to choose from! You have to order one and they’ll bring it in and of course it’ll be hit and miss. Plus the exchange rate won’t be good for me either.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Miso,

Yes, it is a problem for us girls in South east asia… Maybe you could have some arrangement with one of the agents, that you pay a deposit and order a harp, and they get it into their showroom for you. And you go there with your teacher and inspect it there, and if it is not right, you do not buy it and they get another one in for you?

In a way, it could be a merry go round, as what if they keep coming in and they are all no good! But that would be unlikely I think. It may mean you would have to wait a while for the second one, but it may be better than ending up with a dodgey harp that you have to pay the freight to send back.

This is an issue for us in this part of the world isn’t it?? As even if it has a warranty, the freight we have to pay to send Mr Dodgey back for repair is often more than the repair would have cost!

Good luck with your harp hunt. Have you made a choice?

unknown-user
    Participant

Hopefully Evangeline doesn’t see my post, but Rosemary has said previously that she didn’t want her bad experience to upset her,

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Kathleen,

This is horrible.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Kathleen,

I remember when I was younger and was just starting out on the harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

Rosemary –

the harp is a gold Lyon & Healy, but having never seen it I don’t know what the model is.

unknown-user
    Participant

Dave, I’d say you were the victim of a very tall tale.

Ian McVoy
    Participant

Rosemary, Saul, and Carl, congratulations, you have officially turned me in to a harpcolumn addict! 😀
    -Ian

deb-l
    Participant

very fun thread but not the right one to read when waiting for delivery!

What an awesome thread! Demonic ebony-finish Troubadours, a ghost nun leading the path to a lost harp, harps shattered to bits… I can’t wait for more posts!

Ian McVoy
    Participant

Me neither!

This is for Rebecca back in post 21. I read your fascinating story again and noticed the ending— I’d love to have my pizza delivered by a BMW, a Porsche, or a Jaguar! Why do we have to feel that we are deserving of a beautiful instrument? This is the USA! If you want it, go for it: for no other reason than it’s special to you and makes you think of your mother! If I was a millionaire, I’d buy it for you in a minute. Plus maybe sponsor an exorcism for that organ loft.

deb-l
    Participant

regarding post 21, Rebecca, owning the harp your mother last played, especially if much of her things are gone due to fire, that’s just too meaningful to put a price tag on.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics