harpcolumn

Chrysler Pacifica Harpmobile Issues!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Chrysler Pacifica Harpmobile Issues!!

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

I’ve also submitted this as a letter to the editor, vis-a-vis harpmobiles.

The Chrysler Pacifica has one of the highest ratings (4.5 out of 5) for Harpmobiles, and indeed, I owned a 2017 Chrysler Touring-L model.

However, there is an enormous issue that my fellow harpists need to be be aware of.

There is an ongoing, serious problem obtaining parts.

My Pacifica was exactly 3 years old—a 2017 model, purchased in September 2016. I had quite a history with bizarre electrical and electronic issues over the next 36 months, but it is the events of the last month I am writing about. The vacuum brake booster went out on my vehicle. This is a major safety issue….the NTSB has multiple reports online of people in precisely the same situation as myself. This leaking booster makes the car unsafe to drive because you cannot stop the vehicle. The last time I drove it, I had the brake pedal depressed “to the metal” and the car was still moving forward!

I’m sure you’re thinking, “Okay, what does this have to do with the Harp Column?” Well, it also appears that critical parts for the Chrysler Pacifica are simply not available. And no aftermarket parts are available either.

I contacted Chrysler and pleaded with them. I explained that I was a harpist, and my performance schedule all over a three state area in the next month would have me driving nearly 2000 miles. It’s not like I can afford to rent a van (at $90+ a day for a month!) and I can’t just hail an Uber ride or bum a ride from a co-worker to work. In the last 5 days I’ve driven to three different cities for a total of 720 miles!

Chrysler admitted there was a problem getting this part—maybe a part would be available in a month. And their “Client Escalation” over the issue (“somebody will be reaching out to you in 1-3 business days”) didn’t happen until 8 business days later, fully 16 days after I ordered the part. And their response was NOT “Mr. Ice, we have a part for you!” No, the escalation consisted of “reaching out” and telling me they are sorry, there are no parts. Have I tried going to a junk yard to find a wrecked Pacifica and getting a brake booster that way?

Dealing with the dealership was no better. They admitted, yes, this is a problem, and yes there are no parts. When I asked, politely, what can they do to help me, I was told, “well, we can sell you a 2019 Pacifica!” I asked—again, politely—“why would I buy a 2019 car when I can’t get parts for a 2017?” Their response was, and I quote, “I don’t need your attitude.”

So I feel it is imperative that I warn harpists to NOT buy a Chrysler Pacifica. I’ve spoken to many professional mechanics who have told me “Chrysler was so close to bankruptsy that this is an ongoing problem. They don’t have the cash or desire to stockpile replacement parts, so when something goes wrong, you’re out of luck.” I noticed this myself, earlier. It took nearly 2 years before you could even buy an oil filter for a Pacifica at AutoZone or O’Reilly’s Auto Parts. I had to go to a dealership and backorder an oil filter! And this was not because of some sort of natural disaster—fires, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, shortages.

Don’t get me wrong—I loved my Pacifica. It was a great harpmobile!! But I had no options when my brake booster went out on September 9. I had to purchase a new vehicle on September 16 to replace a two model year old Pacifica because nobody in the ENTIRE UNITED STATES had brake parts. And would not get parts until a month later. MAYBE.

One of the NTSB complaints about the brake booster said, “vehicle was returned to dealership for repair July 19, 2019 and is still at the dealership, unrepaired.”

Chrysler simply cannot provide crucial parts for their flagship vehicles. And harpists must have a reliable vehicle that is fixable should anything malfunction. It is outrageous that I had to purchase a new vehicle (a Ford this time!) because Chrysler could not repair my BRAKES!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by David Ice.
    glissbliss
    Participant

This is infuriating and I’m really sorry to hear you’ve had these issues. I’m on the hunt for a harpmobile but I’ll be avoiding Chrysler for sure. What was the new vehicle you purchased?

David Ice
    Participant

I did a lot of research before I went to the Chrysler dealership. I wound up going to a Ford dealer and buying a Ford Transit Connect Wagon. It’s a LOT smaller than the Pacifica–but I could fit my concert grands in along with my caddy, my amp, chair, music stand, etc.

I did buy and cover with fabric a 1/4″ plywood sheet (I had it cut to 46″x 60″) and also did the same with a 46″ 4×4 piece of lumber. The former was to lie on top of the fold-down seats (to further reinforce the harp) and the 4×4 was at the tail end of the floor. There is a gap there between the tailgate and for me to use my dolly and roll the harp in, there was that 4″ shelf I had to get over. This way the harp is totally supported and getting things in and out are a lot easier. I have a custom dolly that wheels in and out, and this is what I did to make things work.

I do miss the extra room of the Pacifica–it’s still the ideal harpmobile–but just after this happened Consumer Reports issued their reliability ratings, and the Chrysler Pacifica was nearly dead last on their “Most Unreliable” rating!!!! And you know, NOBODY from Chrysler ever reached out to me, despite my attempts. Their attitude was literally “sucks to be you” and they could not have cared LESS.

At least my experience with Ford has been the total opposite. I did have a very minor issue (it was a plastic AC vent) and they fixed it pronto, no questions asked. And Ford has sent me a detailed questionaire asking for my opinions about the vehicle and what changes I would make. So at least they are listening!

In the past I’d always used a Ford Taurus Wagon as a harpmobile, but those are no longer in production. When it’s time to replace my Ford Transit Connect Wagon, I’ll DEFINITELY look at Ford or Toyota. Chrysler, you are DEAD to me!

carl-swanson
    Participant

I’m on my 5th Dodge Grand Caravan in a row. The one I have now is a 2018 model that I bought when it was 6 months old. This is the first time that I have bought the high end version of the Caravan and I love love love it. It has built in GPS, a CD player with which I can load the disc onto the hard drive. I currently have 290 CD’s on my hard drive. It has heated seats and a heated steering wheel, which is great for New England winters. The main reason I have it though is that all of the rear seats fold down flat into the floor, giving me maximum room and length for moving harps. With all my Dodge Grand Caravans I could get 4 harps in the car. I drive each of my cars to around 140,000 miles with virtually no repairs. Then I get a new one because I don’t want to start paying for expensive repairs on a car with that much milage. I’m hoping to do the same thing with the current car. I would highly recommend the Dodge Grand Caravan as a great harp mobile.

David Ice
    Participant

I had a Chrysler Town & Country (actually, two of them) and decided to go to the Pacifica in 2016. I had ZERO issues with the Town and Country/Dodge Caravan (essentially the same vehicle) BUT after Chrysler’s “up yours” attitude to me (and one of their flagship models they heavily advertise) I was not about to reward them with another car purchase. I don’t know how much longer the Dodge Caravan will be available, but to quote W: “Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice……..well, can’t get fooled again.”

Plus I have no idea if the parts availability problem extends to Dodge products as well!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Okay guys, if all else fails, look at the Subaru Ascent. Our Forester would obviously only haul one concert grand harp, and you need something bigger. The Ascent, like all Subarus, has all-wheel-drive, thinking of Boston, Carl. We have to have that for our mountain roads here in NC in the winter time, many of which do not even get scraped before the spring thaw! If only some locals would offer sleigh rides, you know. We may have to travel to Vermont this winter!

Happy Holidays to all,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

I saw a Chrysler Town & Country van go by me and thought, what a perfect harpmobile. But then, I see Buick Roadmaster station wagons pretty often and those are perfection.

jzydek
    Participant

Carl, you told a great story on here years ago about stacking 4 harps in the back of a Grand Caravan. Because of that, when I needed a new harp hauler, I got a 2013 Grand Caravan. It was kind of a basic model…..no fancy heated seats or anything. It eventually got enough mileage that I was ready to trade in for a newer one, but they had stopped making them when I was ready to buy one and there were no new ones immediately available. I ended up buying the ’17 Chrysler Pacifica. I seriously love this car and have had zero problems with it. I hope it continues as such, but it’s a marvelous harpmobile with the seats that fold down flat. It’s even a tiny bit longer than the Grand Caravan was. Thanks again for the recommendation on the Caravan.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I’m glad you had a good experience with both the Caravan and the Pacifica. When I was car shopping, I asked my mechanic about the Pacifica and he told me not to go near it. He felt they were having a lot of problems, so I didn’t really look at them. When I bought the car I have now, a 2018 high end Caravan, I didn’t really shop around all that much. I tried 2 Caravans on one Saturday, both the high end model, only because that was all that was available locally at that time, and I bought the second one. I’ve had it almost 2 years and I still really love it. I bought it at 16,000 miles and it is now around 38,000 miles. I haven’t had a single repair yet. It’s really comfortable to drive, and I’ve gotten to really like the GPS. It took a while to learn how to use it, meaning, if I’m headed to a place say 100 miles away, I start by looking at mapquest or googlemaps to figure out how I want to get to the general area, AND THEN turn it on. If I turn it on as I leave my house, it will take me on the most hairbrained route you could imagine. But it’s been a great car, and I can get 4 harps in it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.