harpcolumn

child wanting to play the Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists child wanting to play the Harp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

My daughter insists on playing the harp, and I have absolutely no idea how to go about buying one. I’m a clarinet player, and I’ve never played a harp before, not even in my strings methods class in college. She is 7, and of course I don’t want to buy a huge and expensive instrument just yet. I was thinking something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schoenhut-C1019C-15-String-Childs-Kids-Harp-Cherry_W0QQitemZ130384592683QQcategoryZ16223QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4796750772658932852

Anyway, thanks for your help.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Do not buy a harp. Most especially do not buy a harp on ebay. Look around for a teacher in your area and if at all possible rent to start with. There are many places that offer a rent to own option and also many teachers have rentals for their students to use as starter harps.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

You need to find a teacher first – ask around, try the local chapter of the American Harp Society, ask the local orchestra who harps for them when they need it and see who they suggest., try the Suzuki local people…

Then have a chat with her/him about harps.

Zack, since you have internet, type the name Benjamin Creighton Griffiths into a search engine box. This is a young man in Wales who began harp earlier than 7 years old, who is now perhaps 12 and playing beautifully on a pedal harp. It would be good for you and your daughter to see some of the early videos posted of his playing. His mother is a professional flute player and I’m sure that

kay-lister

Zack,

Definately teacher, rent, THEN buy!!

Jessica A
    Participant

Zack, there’s a big discussion about very young people playing the harp on TEACHING HARP.

Tacye
    Participant

I agree: find a teacher before you buy anything.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies