harpcolumn

Ceremony of Carols Balulalow

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Ceremony of Carols Balulalow

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    maria-jacobsson
    Participant

Could anyone suggest a good fingering for the right hand? Thanks!

brian-noel
    Participant

counts 1 and 2: 1/3 1/4, count 3 1RH 1LH, count 4 and 5 2RH 2LH, count 6 3RH 3LH, etc… Also at “I sall rock thee to my heart”, get some of those notes with the LH (count 2, etc…) by placing the A on count two RH with LH 1, and follow that pattern.. I hope that makes sense. These are Marjorie Call’s markings and they make the movement a lot easier to play.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I always played that 1/3 2/4, then shift hand position and do the same thing again.

kimberly-rowe
    Keymaster

Hi everyone! Just a reminder to tag names of pieces in posts like this: @[[ceremony-of-carols:Piece:Ceremony of Carols (Britten, Benjamin)]], that way your forum question will be attached to the piece and people can easily see it if they have the same question. To tag a piece, just type the @ symbol and then begin typing the name of the piece.

My preferred fingering is 1/3 2/4 on beats 1 and 2 and 5 and 6, and using the left hand for the bottom notes on beats 3 and 4.

Madeline Blood
    Participant

1/3 2/4 1/3 2/4!

Alison Reese
    Keymaster

Another vote for 1/3, 2/4, repeat…

maria-jacobsson
    Participant

Wow! Thanks for all the comments! I am going to try all of them to see what works best for me.
    Thanks again!

David Ice
    Participant

Email me…..I have a pdf file of my fingering/reworkings.
    David Ice
    harpdude@cox.net

Alison
    Participant

All RH – I can manage Bulalulow if I don’t force myself to do 1/3 2/4 all the time which was too difficult and I just gave up. Accomplished players do 1/3 2/4 throughout I notice, so perhaps it takes time to achieve this.

B Y
    Participant

I vote 1/3, 2/4 throughout, but have to use lots of wrist to get it going…fast enough. @[[britten-s-ceremony-of-carols:Performance:Britten’s Ceremony of Carols]]

Alison
    Participant

I can’t believe it, there’s an ‘aha’ moment with this…. you have to get to know it first, then start looking at the right hand, articulate 1/3 properly and then lo and behold (like Christmas again) your 2/4 easily places on the next chord before 1/3 again and overall less tiring on your brain, eyes and thumb; you get that split-second feeling of time, control and security. Occasional bars can be fingered differently, but the 1/3 2/4 becomes reliable and more relaxed, once you have learnt and understood the RH syntax.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics