harpcolumn

Catalogue of orchestral pieces with harp part?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Catalogue of orchestral pieces with harp part?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

Is there any such thing? It was a trend when I took my master’s program (not in a music field) for graduate students to do annotated lists of orchestral pieces that included unusual or unexpected instrumentation, such as English Horn or C trumpet.

I would be very interested in such a list for harp parts if anyone were aware of any. Although I played in a very good college orchestra, it was quite small, and at the time the harp was not available as a college major in my school.

ASCAP and BMI used to have printed catalogs that gave instrumentations, and with patience you can read through it and mark all the harp parts there. You might be able to find a catalog somewhere, I got the last one ASCAP had years ago.

I hadn’t thought of compiling a list from it, it would take quite some time, and only go up to the year 1975 or so, and does not include a lot of public domain music.

You can order a catalog of orchestral parts from Luck’s Musical Library, and go through it mark which ones have harp in them.

The most complete book is the dave Daniels Book of Orchestration, but it lists all orchestrations, not just the ones with harp.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Thank you Elizabeth. I have sent for a copy of this book, and it looks as though it is exactly what I want.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Received this book yesterday, and it’s just what I was looking for! I bought a used 3rd edition on amazon.com for $15. Great purchase!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies