harpcolumn

Carmen.. any updates on your new harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Carmen.. any updates on your new harp?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

What day is this in Tazmania?

Carm Zephyr
    Participant

Hi Deb. Yes it’s Friday today but still no harp 🙁 Leavers didn’t arrive on time so it looks like a weekend more of waiting…….awwww, I was so looking forward to getting it today but I guess it has been pouring raining

deb-l
    Participant

that’s too bad Carm, it’s going to be a long weekend I guess.

Carm Zephyr
    Participant

Talk about the longest weekend of my life! hehe, It’s Sunday afternoon and I am completely bursting at the seems 🙂 I’ve actually been busy all weekend so that’s good. But now that I’ve stopped and I’m still, I’m really itching to play my new harp. And yes, another night of listening to harp music is on the cards for now. I’ll write tomorrow and let you know the update Deb.

Chow for now,
    Carm

deb-l
    Participant

Is it Monday yet in Tazmania?

Carm Zephyr
    Participant

Yes it’s Monday, but still no harp 🙁 sigh…… hopefully within the next few days…..(how many times have I written that now? hehehe) Gotta laugh or I think I’d cry 🙂 My harp maker only lives half an hours drive away so I’ll be picking the harp up but same story as Friday’s, It’s pouring raining today so I don’t think I could have picked it up anyway
    (I say this to make myself feel better about not getting it today). All in good timing I say, It will be ready when it’s ready I guess. Still I just can’t wait to play it 🙂

deb-l
    Participant

that’s too bad.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Can’t hurry artisans.

Carm Zephyr
    Participant

Hahaha, no your not pestering at all Deb 🙂 makes me feel better that someone’s waiting along with me for the big arrival. And yes Georgina, we can’t hurry the artisan whilst they’re hard at work can we. And to answer your other question about pieces to play…….. You know what, I really don’t know. That’s what I should do isn’t it? In my spare moments waiting i should be finding pieces to play. Yes, that’s what I’ll do. Thanks for that thought 🙂

deb-l
    Participant

Not sure if your taking lessons or not Carm, but I learned from Sylvia Woods teach yourself to play the folkharp.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Another thing we have in common, Deb! I learned from this book too, and didn’t know bass clef or have a piano background. Since then I have met harpists who have had piano before learning harp and they were far more advanced than I even though we had been learning for the same amount of time. Learning the bass clef slowed me down a lot, plus the whole two-handed approach. Sylvia’s book was great to start with, but my only complaints were that it progressed rather quickly and didn’t spend enough time demonstrating proper hand/finger technique. I fell into some bad habits because of this, and had to re-train myself, which set me back even farther. At this point I should be into upper intermediate/advanced music, and I’m more or less upper beginner/lower intermediate. Of course, I could have avoided all this by getting a teacher, but that option wasn’t available at the time I started learning.

If you can get a teacher, I strongly recommend it. Even if it’s only for the first few months, with check-ups afterwards to make sure you are progressing and not falling into bad habits.

Karen

Carm Zephyr
    Participant

I haven’t got a teacher yet, but will do. I have played piano for years so I already know bass clef. What I’ll miss though is being able to play whatever note I like without having flick levers. The lever thing will take time. I would really love to have a go of a pedal harp one day too but I would never part with my lever. I’ll have her for life 🙂 My friend is also learning with Sylvia woods and finds it rather good and convenient as there are no harp teachers in the area she lives in. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the advice.

Carm Zephyr
    Participant

Yay Deb some news!

My harp is ready! Hip pip Hooray! I’m so excited. Will be picking it up tomorrow. I won’t sleep tonight. I’m as silly as can be right now, I’m just so excited! I’ll try and upload pictures tomorrow night ( that’s if I can pry my hands off the strings to do it, hehe ) Woohooooooo!

deb-l
    Participant

Oh boy tomorrow is today!!

Ken H.
    Participant

I am so Happy for you Carmen!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.