Carl Swanson and the Debussy Sonate

Posted In: Repertoire

jtattoo on #186411

I just finished the third article by Carl on the Debussy Trio. After playing the wonderful work about 15 times over 38 years, I wish I had had the information in all three articles. He has done a superb job of analyzing this very complex piece. I highly recommend anyone who intends to perform it, to take out the score and read the articles carefully and notate what Carl indicates. An excellent job Carl! Jim P

Participant
    carl-swanson on #186429

Hey Jim- Thank you so much. I had a wonderful time doing the research and bringing the articles AND the new Carl Fischer edition to completion, and I’m very happy with both. At the end of January I had the opportunity to give a lecture on my research at the Boston Conservatory, and then three members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra performed the piece. What a great day that was!

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #186734

Yes, thank you, Carl. I have not done an investigation yet, but I suspect many of the corrections, if not all, are in the Salzedo edition. Only I think it may have been forgotten that they were corrections, not editions.

Participant
    carl-swanson on #186741

What Salzedo edition? The piece was under copyright well past Salzedo’s death, so he couldn’t have published an edition of the Sonate.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #186783

His edition, meaning the markings in red pencil handed down from teacher to student.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.