Camac Knot

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    martin-solomon on #164510

Can anyone describe how to tie the knot in order to secure a new string on my nylon-strung Camac Melusine?

Each string is tied around a small piece of wooden dowel and I want to duplicate the way that the others are tied.

Thanks,

Martin Solomon
    Bristol
    UK

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #164511

Awhile back during a discussion on Harplist, a poster asked this information. I volunteered that I had just received a diagram when I purchased my Camac strings. I faxed it to him so he could see it. He made “improvements” on it — not sure what he did or how it is improved. I could figure out the knot from the original drawing that came with the strings, but here is a link to what he posted:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/VR4Harps/CAMACStringKnot.jpg

June

PS:

Participant
    erin-wood on #164512

I have been told there is a video of

Participant
    Victor Ortega on #164513

The booklet “Fun From the First!” volume I by Sam Milligan has a page on tying the knots on harp strings.

jennifer-buehler on #164514

There’s also a knot tying diagram in Sylvia Woods “Teach Yourself to play Folk Harp”.

tony-morosco on #164515

Like Victor I learned to tie the knot using Fun From the First. Very good diagrams that make it very clear.

I don’t know if that diagram is different from how Camac’s diagram is, but in the end it is relatively irrelevant. I am sure there are several different ways to tie a knot and I doubt that any has any significant advantage, and see no reason to learn a whole new way. So I tie the knots on my Camac exactly like I tie the knots on my Lyon and Healy. I have never had a problem as a result of that.

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #164516

Apparently not, Erin. I thought so too. I was shown how to tie a harp knot for my L&H Troubadour by my teacher, but the knots on the Camac harps are different. Some people are saying they just use the same harp knot on all their harps, but I just wanted to tie the knot the same way the Camac harp came.

June

Participant
    Victor Ortega on #164517

I found a video on tying harp string knots on harpconnection.com:

http://www.harpconnection.com/movies/KnotTie.html

It shows the typical two-loop (one through the other) approach, the same as on the “Fun From the First!” booklet and on that other URL I posted.

Participant
    Elizabeth Volpé Bligh on #164518

I have been looking after a student’s Camac harp this summer, and after three fruitless attempts to use my old Lyon-Healy knot-tying technique, I have to agree; the Camac system requires a different knot. Thank heavens for Harp Column!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.