harpcolumn

Camac Bardic 27 as first harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Camac Bardic 27 as first harp?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    sarva
    Participant

@Evolène:
    I’ve been re-reading the posts here and this are my thoughts.
    Since I like to hang with friends who also play instruments, my future teacher will be like 1hour away from my place ( at least) and I’d like to get lessons with my own harp, I think that getting a more mobile harp isn’t that bad.
    Anyways I’ll travel to a big city in a few days and visit a store where I will be able to try some harps I guess.

Maybe I can just hold my desire to start playing and just keep saving money for some months, but that doesn’t sound that appealing heh

sarva
    Participant

By saving I mean in order to buy a floor one, but that would cost almost a +100% and getting stuck in home, which isn’t necessarily bad, but…

evolene_t
    Participant

Indeed, a more mobile harp will be a good idea if you want to move it a lot to play with friends!
    (Harp teachers generally make you play with their own harp in their classroom although you should be able to bring your harp if you prefer).

The only choice that matters is your own. If I had listened to general advice I would not be playing on a double-strung!

Simply be aware that you might be so in love with the harp that you might want to buy a second one in a few years 😉 and that’s a good thing!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by evolene_t.
    Alison
    Participant

Lots of us have bought the bardic harp for taking around with us to demo in teaching sessions and presumably for busking with selective or pre-arranged repertoire, only very tiny children would want that as their main instrument. When I ordered mine I requested additional half length legs which are safer and fine with a low stool.

wil-weten
    Participant

If you are going to take lessons, you may like to ask your future teacher for advice. Some teachers demand a 34 string harp. Others are fine with a much smaller harp. And, you may be lucky that the teacher is renting some of her harps to her students for a very reasonable price. Or, she may know a great second hand harp for you.

sarva
    Participant

I dont know what to do.
    I understand that a lap harp isnt the smartest choice forma a beginner, but spending 2500€ in a floor harp without knowing anything feels risky.
    Aside, I’d need some months to save for that extra amount.

Only a couple of teachers in my area (around 100km) and no answers by the moment. Aside they are classic harp teachers and I dont know if they are experienced with lever celt harps.

Looks like I live in the wrong country un order to play this kind of harp hehe

wil-weten
    Participant

Hi Sarva, did you know there are harp teacher who also give online lessons? Of course, especially in the beginning, it would be best to have a teacher who is actually in the same room, but internet lessons are at least much better than self teaching.

Anyway, if you think about saving for another few months, you could already start with looking at some great free harp tutorials on youtube like those of Josh Layne and Ray Pool.

Also, there must a really great website with free interactive tutorials on music theory (sorry, I don’t know which one I should refer you to). You don’t need this kind of knowledge to start on the harp, but it may help to speed your development as a harper once you’ve got a harp.

Biagio
    Participant

Sarva, I posted another comment that seems to have disappeared; there was a fair amount of “stuff” in it which can safely be ignored but I would like to pass on one thought regarding teachers. To whit: if the time difference would work for you, Laurie Riley teaches via Skype; she also plays by ear and is fluent in Spanish as well. Here is her website:

Welcome

She is recognized as an excellent teacher and international performer and her fees are very reasonable. An accomplished musician, Laurie teaches not only harp (single, double and wire) but plays guitar, banjo, dulcimer and bodhran. Also very gracious – I suggest that you write to her regarding your interest, I am sure that she will be happy to give you her thoughts whether you decide to study with her via Skype or not. It is an 8 hour time difference – Laurie lives on the US West Coast.

If, however, you are tending toward a 34 instead, you might see if the Dusty Strings Ravenna 34 is available where you live. It is an excellent and very popular “first harp” reasonably priced: 1485 euros at current exchange rates.

Evolene, I hope I did not seem dogmatic re: Celtic traditions, just pointing out that there are different interpretations. I mentioned Aiofe O Dowb; here is her interpretation of Port na Bpucai and I think everyone would agree that it is just gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8wZEK2cWM

I do also agree that 1-5-8 is one of the most used patterns, and as a baritone I do love those bass strings! In fact, I dropped my own 34 two steps to get that low A. However, I really do not want to discourage Sarva from the Bardic if that is what she can afford – it really is a nice harp. Much better in my opinion to get that then buy a poorly made but larger instrument!

Happy harping,
    Biagio

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Biagio.
    Biagio
    Participant

Sarva, I will call my friends at Dusty Strings on Monday to ask if they have any dealers in Spain; I know that they do have several in Europe. I also have a harp maker friend in Italy and can ask him about a custom 34 if you wish.

Um…Alison, I am not a “tiny child” but my main harps these days are a nylon 26 and a wire 26; and I am almost 70 with a good deal of harp making as well as playing under my belt. I do take your point – that most people would opt for larger instruments – but not everyone.

As a matter of fact I do miss a having the larger ones sometimes though. There was one point where I had a 36, a Clark (31 strings) that 34 all of which I designed myself (except the Clark of course) and really loved, not to mention several doubles. A bit excessive, and eventually it became time to weed the garden:-)

Biagio

wil-weten
    Participant

Unfortunately, Dusty Strings do cost quite a lot more in Europe than in the US. Partly this has to do with transporting costs, VAT and import duties.

In Europe a Dusty Ravenna with 26 strings would cost round about 1650 euro at: https://www.zingendesnaar.nl/dusty-strings-ravenna-26.html and a Ravenna with 34 strings round about 2650 euro at https://www.zingendesnaar.nl/dusty-strings-ravenna-34.html. Prices of Ravenna’s in other European countries are more or less the same.

Frankly, I’d prefer a Camac Bardic 27 strings above a Ravenna 26 string, but this is personal. The Dusty Ravenna’s are fine harps too.

wil-weten
    Participant

This may be the best of two worlds: https://es.camac-harps.com/es/alquileres/

You could rent a 34-string harp and buy it when you’ve saved enough money and know whether you really like the harp. I used google translate to understand Spanish and I think it says that when you buy the harp you rented, a significant part of the paid rent for the last six months are deducted from the price of the harp.
    As you like celtic music, you may choose for the Camac Hermine. This harp has a relatively light tension. But perhaps your taste for sound and/or your taste for music is broader and you may like to choose another harp.

Unfortunately, I don’t see the Camac Isolde Celtic as one of the harps you may rent first, as I think you really want to try out the Camac Isolde Celtic for its great sound. And of course, there’s the Camac Excalibur, with its tension between celtic and classic, but that’s a professional lever harp (I play on a Camac Excalibur and I really love it, but this may become your second harp, as Biagio put it before, after a few years, most people decide they want another harp and sell their first one.

Biagio
    Participant

That’s an excellent point Wil, and I must say I was initially astonished at the difference in cost – almost $1000 US. Then I looked again; the harp you referenced is also fully levered where I quoted one with only C F and Bs – the difference is part of that too, about $330 US.

Yep, $700 sounds about right for dealer markup, shipping and VAT; oh well, it was a thought.

I’ll call Ray and Sue at DS anyway (now I’m curious) and contact Marco in Italy if Sarva wishes. I do think however, like you, that she would do well with the Bardic for now.

Oops, just saw your recent post regarding the rental- great suggestion and great doing that research!

Biagio

wil-weten
    Participant

Hi Biagio, I forgot to tell, where I live, Dusty harps can only be bought fully levered. I think this is the case both in the UK, Netherlands, Germany and France. No idea about Spain.

sarva
    Participant

Thanks him for your useful input.
    As you said Dusty Strings only will ship at a greater price and that Ravenna isn’t fully levered
    As an European I’m limited to European choices, otherwise I’d had probably gone for a harpsicle or other non-Pakistani budget harps.

Renting is a possibility and next week I’m visiting Camac shop in Madrid so I will check what possibilities do I have. They told me that their bardic series were discontinued but they still had a couple of 27s for selling
    As you can see, any other options like Telenn, Hermine etc start at ~2500€ which is unaffordable for the moment. I’ll check the rental conditions anyway.
    I’ll also may have the chance to touch them (not to lay because I don’t know heh) and get a feel and listen their sound. I feel like the bardic sits in a sweet spot between quality and price giving my circumstances

But that’s all theory because I haven’t even touched it heh

One teacher answered me! She is a latinamerican woman who says she can help me although I guess she plays other kind of music. But I get technique will be similar and she also said that having the harp I want to play with would be great
    Still waiting answers from other people

Thanks again to you all for sharing your opinions on the matter and shedding some light in this darkness

By the way I’m a boy haha

sarva
    Participant

I made some grammatical mistakes like “lay” instead of play and “get” instead of guess. New smartphone and not being able to edit my posts (or I can’t find the option when posting thru my mobile phone!)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics