harpcolumn

Camac Athena or Atlantide?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Camac Athena or Atlantide?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lisa-fenwick
    Participant

I bought an Atlantide a year and a half ago. I really like it. My teacher really wanted me to get a L&H but she had never played the Camac harp and is an longtime L&H harpist all the way.

tony-morosco
    Participant

L&H make great harps, and their reputation is well deserved. But… A lot of people recommend them based simply on the fact that they are the most common and what is most familiar.

Camac may not have been around as long, but they are certainly an established company, and their harps have, overall, a very good reputation.

So I wouldn’t let reputation, or even the preferences of your teacher, make the decision for you alone. Certainly they can be worked in to the consideration, but the fact is that both companies make good, reliable instruments, so it’s not like going with one over the other is an invitation for disaster or getting a poor quality instrument.

Rather, I think you should look at the actual harps and compare them to see which you like best. There are significant differences in general between Camac and L&H harps that have to do with everything from the design to the materials used. The ergonomics are different, and the sound is different.

Saying one set of characteristics is better than another is really subjective and different people will have different opinions.

Personally I like the sound of both even though they are different, and would have a hard time determining which one I would want based only on that. I actually hope to purchase a new harp within the next three years and have seriously been considering the Athena and the 85CG.

I haven’t completely made up my mind yet, but as of this time I am leaning towards the Athena. Looks wise I like them both fine enough, but the ergonomics of the Athena I think works a little better for me. I have large hands and the way the strings on the Athena splay out a little as you go up the octaves feels more comfortable on my hands. Also I like the lighter weight of the Athena.

Now as mentioned the big drawback of Camac harps is that a lot of harp techs don’t know how to work on them. They have significant innovations in their construction, and if you don’t specifically know what you are doing a tech could cause damage. So if there is no one in your area who can work on them that may be an issue in case something major needs to be done.

On the other hand, Camac harps are designed so that a lot of the maintenance can be done at home. For instance, no pedal rods. The cables that they use to replace the pedal rods not only are much less likely to break (in fact I have never heard of them ever breaking, but you never know), but can be regulated by the harpist at home in a few minutes. That is a nice advantage.

So there are tradeoffs to both, but ultimately you need to get the harp that both appeals to you in terms of the tone and which feels comfortable to play. Tradition is fine to take into consideration, but you are playing a harp, not a tradition. Play the instrument that suits you best.

Either way you will be getting a fine, high quality instrument so you really don’t have to worry about making a “wrong” decision. Only making the best decision for your needs and wants.

leonard-lim
    Participant

I’ve finally narrowed down my search for THE pedal harp down to Camac Athena/Atlantide

or L&H 85CG.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have to vote for Lyon & Healy, based on all the harps I’ve heard in performance. I have not heard a Swanson in performance. I have played one. It is very different to hear one in a hall than to merely play one. If you are buying a harp for home use only, it makes less difference. Then the main issue is maintenance and lifespan, if you like the sound and feel. If you are aiming to be professional in North America, I would recommend the LH concert grands as the standard sound we’ve come to expect. Salvi’s tend to be darker and project less, and the Camacs I heard lacked warmth and ring, comparatively speaking. One thing not in their favor: the use of materials other than wood. Wood fibers realign themselves in accordance to the player over time, personalizing your sound; synthetic fibers probably can not do that. As far as I know, LH, Salvi and Venus are all wood, which means the whole thing resonates similarly. It seems to me the point of playing an instrument like the harp or guitar, or recorder, is to experience the beauty of wood and acoustic sound. Lots of people like their camacs, you probably will too, if you get one, but there’s a lot to be said for following one’s teacher’s advice. My first teacher insisted her students buy style 23s, for their quality, value and lifelong usefulness. I am so thankful to her, because otherwise we probably would have gone a cheap route, and I wouldn’t have the world-class instrument that I now have to play.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Have to say, I generally agree with Carl… to a point. Except with a caveat. When he says L&H is the way to go if you are going to be a professional harpist in N. America I can agree if professional means classical orchestral harpist.

However there are other professionals out there who either don’t play in an orchestra or don’t play classical music (solo wedding jobs, playing in a jazz combo etc…).

So if you are a classical orchestral harpist then L&H is probably the way to go.

But I still think that Camacs are generally just as good quality in terms of longevity and durability (perhaps even greater durability). And for any number of other setting are just as, and in some cases better suited than a L&H.

leonard-lim
    Participant

Thank you so much for all your kind replies!

leonard-lim
    Participant

Hi folks!

I wrote to Camac regarding the above issue, and a few other questions regarding Camac

harps in general.

unknown-user
    Participant

I recently visited a showroom that had both L&H 85CG and Camac Prestiges (and Athenas).

leonard-lim
    Participant

Hi Amy!

Hi Leonard! Good to see you here. How is Australia?

June

leonard-lim
    Participant

Hi June!

I bet you really do miss that Atlantide. When you get back to it, it will seem even better — if that’s possible. 🙂

robert-stone

Mr. Francois: Would it be possible for all your harps to have the same soundboards for uniform quality in sound but be distinquished in appearance and price buy other features such as gilding, additional carving, exotic woods,etc?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies