column

Buying, Repairing, and Restoring an old Venus Classic

Home Forums Coffee Break Buying, Repairing, and Restoring an old Venus Classic

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Owosso Harpist
    Participant

Months ago when I displayed photos of Gilligan, my rental harp’s woes and how badly he needs restoration, some of my Facebook friends advised me to send the harp back and get a new harp instead. But because of the unpleasant circumstances of failed attempts to get approved by Allegro, roadblocks, let downs, and the unwillingness partaking in various rent to own new pedal programs coming from well known harp dealers that don’t last long, I’m going to stay with the decision of choosing the next best thing — buy, keep, and restore Gilligan even if I have to wait months for him to be restored at Venus Harps which in a way is no different than what an expectant mother feels when she has to wait 9 months for her baby to be born.

The $1,200 I earned through performances of last year will go towards a complete set of new strings, tuning pins, and new shoes. But what I want to know is how much are the regulation of the harp, the reriveting of the action, replacement of the pedals and mechanisms, base and soundboard including decals, the fixing of the cracks and scratches, and, other than at Venus Harps in Chicago, where nearby can I find a professional harp technician in the Lansing, Michigan area who can come and look at my harp, regulate, and make repairs on him?

BTW, here’s a collection of photos on Flickr showing what’s wrong with him

Gilligan: A Venus Classic Harp in need of restoration.

deb-l
    Participant

Sherry, your plans keep getting thwarted because you are not working and making an income. If you want to understand why people can’t afford to buy a pedal harp and rent it to you for cheap get a full time job to help you understand why people can’t afford to throw pedal harps your way.

Owosso Harpist
    Participant

I work part time at Mental Health doing evening custodian work. I plan to get a full time job in the future when there’s one that’s right for me. I’m not complaining about the harp I have. I’m telling you that I have plans to buy the harp and restore it one little bit at a time. I love the harp I’m renting and I’ll do whatever it takes to get cash so I can buy and restore the harp I have.

deb-l
    Participant

that’s good Sherry, frankly I thought it was a plea for others to donate cash to restore your harp.

Owosso Harpist
    Participant

I’m not going to beg people for a harp or cash to buy a harp, I’m going to work for it at Mental Health, my upcoming full time job when I find one, and at public performances at my hometown. Something I should’ve told you this before when I started the new post. Oh well. At least I won’t be going without a harp anymore.

deb-l
    Participant

thats great Sherry, sorry for assuming otherwise.

Tacye
    Participant

Have you checked that the people you are renting from would like to sell the harp to you?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.