harpcolumn

buying a first harp for an 11 year old

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists buying a first harp for an 11 year old

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tacye
    Participant

Look through other postings on the web site about Pakistani
    harps- (all the cheap carved rosewood ones) they are low priced
    because of the quality.

unknown-user
    Participant

Could anyone give me advice on buying a first harp for my eleven year
    old?

Rachel
    Participant

Yes, avoid the Pakistani harps!

Rachel
    Participant

P.S. A floor harp is definitely easier to learn on at first than a lap harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

I started at 9 with the heather pakistani harp- what a horrible instrument it was! I guess the only reason why i got it is because my mom didn’t want to splurge on something that I didn’t know I’d like. The levers became unglued and fell off- they buzzed like crazy and some were too tough to put up- so I had to avoid those notes in a piece! Stick with the bigger names in lever harps ex: Pilgrim, Swanson, Lyon and Healy, Salvi. Dont let the super low prices drag you into buying these super low quality instruments!!!

unknown-user
    Participant

oh yeah, dusty strings and trippilett harps are very good, too- but can be quite expensive…

Nadia Tjahja
    Participant

I think you should start with floorharp and take a little camac. or if you want a lapharp a troubadour

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

try a place like the harp connection in MA, or another harp store, and try a bounty program, where you buy or rent a lever harp and before a certain point you can trade it in towards a pedal harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

My daughter has been playing since 4yrs old..We bought a
    Folk Harp by Lyon Healy… We are pretty happy… They have
    financing and a rent to own program… You could also search under
    LyonHealy.com or also Venus.com …Venus harps are less expensive ..
    Wish you luck…

unknown-user
    Participant

DEFINETELY USE A L&H PRELUDE, SALVI ANA, OR L&H TROUBADOUR V. THESE ARE THE BEST HARPS AROUND FOR THE PRICE AND SOUND. WHY SETTLE FOR A NO-NAME, CHEAP, CRAPPY PAKISTANI HARP, WHEN YOU CAN GET A L&H/ SALVI? DO YOURSELF AND THE LITTLE HARPIST A FAVOR AND GO WITH EITHER OF THESE! IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN NOT ONLY BECAUSE OF L&H/SALVI’S QUALITY, BUT ALSO BECAUSE OF THEIR RENTAL/RENT-TO-OWN/TRADE-IN/PURCHASE PROGRAMS. THESE HARPS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HARPING!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies